Here Are 15 Things You Need For Your First Apartment

15 Must-Haves For Every College Girl Looking To Turn Her First Apartment Into A Second Home

There's no place like home!

194

Moving into your first apartment marks another step towards becoming an adult. You may be overwhelmed with rent, getting along with roommates, having expenses, and the things you may or may not need. Don't worry because this is NORMAL. It can also be one of the most exciting things as you transition from young adult to an actual adult. I can tell you this: after living in my apartment for a year in college, I realized that adulthood isn't THAT scary. Here are some of the 15 important things to have when moving into your first apartment space:

1. Coffee Pot/Keurig

You can't start your day without coffee or your daily dose of sugar. If you don't have money to splurge at Starbucks every day, making your own coffee will be your best bet. If you are more of a hot chocolate person, use a kettle or a Keurig for easy/instant access.

2. Toaster, Microwave, Fridge, Stove (and other kitchen appliances)

Your apartment should have a stove and fridge already. Other appliances you may need are a microwave, toaster, etc.

3. Cooking Appliances

This one is a little different from No. 2. In this case, I am referring to cooking utensils, plates, pots and pans, tools, etc.

4. Essential Oil Diffuser

This one is completely optional, but if you are a fan of nice smells that calm your nerves, it wouldn't hurt to but one. I would be glad to put you guys on to these. Have you ever walked in a room and it smells extremely nice and you just close your eyes and imagine that you're somewhere else based on the scent? Yeah, it's amazing. With an oil diffuser, you can use many different scents such as Vanilla, Frankincense, Pina Colada, and Pumpkin. The best part is the fact that the smell can put you in a calm, relaxing mood. The mist fills up the whole room without giving you a headache like air fresheners would. The best part about them is that they are as cheap as $20 and are long-lasting!

5. Wall Decor

Wall decor adds a nice touch to your apartment and will make you feel more at home. You can decorate your walls with family photos, motivational posters, mirrors, drawings, or anything else you can think of. If you are living in a place where the building doesn't allow you to put holes in the wall, try using adhesive tape or wall tape for easy removal.

6. String Lights

String lights aren't a necessity, but they add a nice touch to your room. If you are someone that doesn't have a lot of decor, string lights set the mood pretty nicely.

7. Slow Cooker/Instant Pot

A slow cooker works great if you don't have time to cook, but still want a savory meal. A slow cooker can cook your food between 4-8 hours and will be ready just in time you come home from class or work.

8. Full-Body Mirror

Let's face it, we NEED full-body mirror to see if the whole fit looks good. This isn't even an option. This is perfect for your room or walk-in closet. You can get good quality full-body mirrors for just $5 at Walmart.

9. TV

Of course you should have a TV. You'll be bored without a little background noise. Not everyone has cable, but if you get a fire stick with Wi-Fi, you can use your TV in no time. Even if you don't use your TV, it's nice for decoration.

10. Nightstand

Most apartments would have this already, but if you don't, everyone needs one near their bed. It's a perfect place to put items that you need nearby.

11. Desk Lamp

When you're doing some late night studying, you need to see of course. This can be placed anywhere and would make a lot of sense if placed near your desk. (Also, make sure you check with your landlord about halogen vs. non-halogen light bulbs.)

12. Bathroom Shelf

If you want to get rid of clutter on the bathroom counter, use a bathroom shelf to put all of your hair care products, extra towels, etc. in one organized area. Many have shelves installed on their walls or even in the actual shower. You can also buy an overhead shower shelf. There are many different options to choose from.

13. To-Go Containers

It's no secret that you'll be doing a lot of cooking. Trust me, as a college student, you'll definitely need these. If you want to meal prep or have some leftover food from cooking, these are perfect. These are also important for when you come home for breaks and want to steal some of your mom's home cooking. If you're one of those who likes to sneak food from dining halls, well, I guess this one is for you too!

14. Cleaning Supplies

With every apartment comes responsibilities. Those responsibilities are CLEANING. And no, don't even think about hiring a maid because this is part of growing up. You may see some dust or maybe drop a couple of crumbs and it's your job to make sure that your apartment is in tick-tock-shape. If you're not sure what exactly you may need, always read what the products are and know their functions. I hope you have a broom of course.

15. FURNITURE! HELLO?

No one wants to sit in an empty apartment. Many apartments have furniture that is provided for you. However, if you're moving into a completely empty apartment where you'll have to start from scratch, furniture is key obviously. This should have been No. 1, but there's nothing wrong with saving the best for last right? Also, make sure your apartment complex has a washer/dryer set. This also includes a desk, couch, BED, chair, etc. You're paying for this place! Make it feel like a home!