9 Essential Movies That All College Students Should Watch

There's no better way to procrastinate.

54

College is the perfect opportunity to expand your cultural horizons, whether that means trying new food (maybe even eating a vegetable once in awhile) or discovering a passion you never thought you had. For me, a big part of my experience thus far has been watching movies that my peers recommend to me.

Even though I love discovering new films, it's hard for me to put a movie on my list of favorites. However, college has completely transformed the way I view cinematography. I have been exposed to so many genres that I never even considered watching. There are a certain few films that I now believe every student should see, because they truly altered my perspective of the world around me.

1. Lady Bird

www.justinkownacki.com

This 2017 film captures the journey of adolescence in a raw, real way. Plus, it led me to fall completely in love with Saoirse Ronan.

2. The Social Network

media1.giphy.com

With all of the recent news regarding the corrupt nature of Facebook, it's interesting to see where it all began through the lens of director David Fincher. Don't be discouraged if you haven't come up with your multi-billion dollar idea yet, though. There's still time.

3. Inside Out

media.giphy.com

Although this one isn't necessarily aimed at college students, it is still relevant to our experiences: trying to regulate our emotions, understanding our passions, and eating soggy pizza.

4. Get Out

66.media.tumblr.com

As students, our lives are already scary enough with exams, projects, presentations. However, this thriller highlights societal issues that are extremely relevant in the world we are becoming a part of.

5. Booksmart

If you're feeling nostalgic about your high school friendships, watch the journey two girls embark on right before graduation.

6. Eighth Grade

thumbs.gfycat.com

With all the struggles that you have to face as a college student, sometimes it's nice to remember how far you have come. Even though Elsie Fisher's realistic depiction of the awkwardness of middle school will make you cringe, it will also make you grateful that you are way past puberty.

7. Juno

i.gifer.com

Featuring the iconic Ellen Page and Michael Cera, the 2007 masterpiece describes the tale of a girl whose unplanned pregnancy forces her to confront the realities of adulthood.

8. Dead Poets Society

media0.giphy.com

No list is complete without the inclusion of this film. Although released in 1989, the lessons still apply today to people of all ages.

9. Parasite

66.media.tumblr.com

Recently released, this Korean comedy/drama/thriller/everything in-between begins with the story of a boy who pretends to be a college student. It turns into a unbelievable rollercoaster that comments on cultural struggles, familial ties, and so much more.

These are just a select few of the many movies that have influenced me in some way during my college experience. I am sure that there are more films out there, waiting to distract me from my homework.