To My Middle School Self, Everything Works Out In The End

Taking a moment to pause and reflect on some awkward yet formative years.

229
Pexels.com

Dear middle school me,

If by some chance that there's a rip in the space-time continuum that allows for you to read this; hello! Thank you for taking the time between playing Poptropica and roaming around the mall with your friends to read this letter. I know it's very strenuous being an awkward pubescent but not to worry, eventually, it will get better in high school. For now though, there's a lot I know now that I wish I had known when I was your age.

You don't know this yet, but there's this app that's about to come out called Vine and it will literally ROCK your entire world and then vanish out of nowhere. Also speaking of social media that 150 photo album you're about to upload on Facebook of you and your friends at a sleepover? Maybe hold off on those. Eventually, you'll have to use your account to find roommates in college and you really just don't need those on there. Believe it or not, pretty much everything that you're doing right now you will look back on and cringe at.. but literally so will everyone else so it's okay.

I wish I could tell you how much your college and career plans will change over the next couple of years, but honestly I'm still trying to figure it all out! Contrary to popular belief you DON'T have to have your entire life figured out by 20. This is still very new to me, but pretty crazy right?! Who would've thought!

Every single boy you date will break your heart or just flat out won't work out and it WON'T be the end of the world. You will grow with each breakup and learn from each past mistake. Remove the pressure that you need a boyfriend; you definitely don't. Not at this point in your life; you don't even need a homecoming date yet.

I wish I could tell you not to get caught up in the drama. That every bad thing happening will eventually go away. Middle school ends, high school ends, and after that nothing matters anymore; not like it used to. I wish I could tell you that the people you think you're best friends with now, you won't speak to after 10th grade. Your friends and relationships are constantly changing, and it's okay.

You have more goals and ambitions than you know what to do with and at times it can be overwhelming. You can plan and plan all you want but life happens anyway. I wish I could tell you that in the future you won't achieve all of the goals you set now, but you will achieve others you set later; better ones. Ones that are set by YOU and no one else.

With all that said, keep doing what you're doing. Yes, you should definitely quit cheerleading and run cross country. I promise you will have so much more fun. Yes, you should study for every test even if you think you know all the material; this is what ends up getting you into your dream college. Yes, you should cut your hair and wear that one outfit to school. Be the most you version of yourself that you can be and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

It'll all be okay.

-Me