Mid-September Major League Baseball Playoff Picture

Who's in? Who's out? Time is almost up...

34

September 16, 2016

A complete list of the MLB standings can be found here http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/

It's the magical time of the year... and I don't mean football season.

Major League Baseball (MLB) is in full swing as there are only weeks remaining in the 2016 season. Some teams look to hang on to their division leads, while others hope to build on their momentum to play a Cinderella role into the playoffs.

The team with the best overall record in each division goes on to the playoffs and, as of 2012, the next two best record teams in each league play a single-elimination game with the winner advancing to represent as the Wildcard. So, a total of eight teams (four in the American League, four in the National League) will get to continue their season and compete in the Major League Baseball Postseason.

As we enter play on Friday, September 16th, we know only two teams are mathematically eliminated: the Atlanta Braves (56-90) and the Minnesota Twins (55-92). Both teams look to use the remaining games of the season to gauge their young talent and build for the future. The Twins hope to see improvement on young, former top prospect Byron Buxton at the MLB level this season while the Braves continue to look for help with their starting rotation.

The Chicago Cubs, on the other hand, enter Friday with the top record in baseball (93-52) and can coast into October having already clinched a playoff berth via winning the National League Central Division last night. The Cubs will continue to compete to try to earn home-field advantage in the playoffs by holding on to the best record in the National League.

So, while we know the fate for three of the thirty clubs, the remaining twenty-seven are mathematically in contention for playoff berths. Let's break down the Division races...

NATIONAL LEAGUE EAST

Leader: Washington Nationals (87-59)

The Nationals enter with a ten-game lead. With remaining games against the Braves, Marlins, Pirates, and Diamondbacks, Washington looks to have an easy path to October. The Nats lost a key piece when starting pitcher Stephen Strasburg tore his right forearm on September 7th.

Outside Looking In: New York Mets (77-69) and Miami Marlins (73-73)

Both the Mets (10 games back) and Marlins (14GB) need a lot of help to catch up to the Nationals. The Mets do have a half-game lead in the second National League wildcard spot, so a hot streak could lead to a playoff berth. The Marlins are knocking on the door to the wildcard with only a four-game difference behind the Mets.

Eliminated: Philadelphia Phillies (65-82) and Atlanta Braves (56-90)

Both the Phillies and Braves hope to use the remaining portion of the season to continue rebuilds. The Braves are looking forward to moving into the brand new SunTrust Park next season with their young talent led by shortstop Dansby Swanson. In trading key players with expiring contracts, Atlanta was able to build one of baseball's best farm systems highlighted by young pitchers such as Sean Newcomb, Ian Anderson, and Tyrell Jenkins, shortstops Ozzie Albies and Kevin Maitan, and outfielders Mallex Smith and Dustin Peterson. Look for Atlanta to continue it's aggressive rebuild and be a competetor in years to come.

NATIONAL LEAGUE CENTRAL

Clinched: Chicago Cubs (93-53)

The Cubs have ended one drought already. They have punched their ticket for the first time since the 2008 season. Of course, the North Siders hope to end their most painful drought of a World Series title with their last one coming in 1908. While it may be a bit premature to talk about the Cubs in the World Series, the Cubs have shown since their showing in last season's playoffs that they are for real. Led by manager Joe Maddon, the Chicago Cubs will look to clinch home-field advantage throughout the National League playoffs (the American League will have home-field advantage in the World Series since they defeated the National League in the All-Star Game).

Eliminated: St. Louis Cardinals (76-70), Pittsburgh Pirates (71-74), Milwaukee Brewers (66-81), and Cincinnati Reds (62-83)

While the Cardinals and Pirates look to contend for a spot in the one-game playoff for the wildcard spot, the Brewers and Reds can likely begin their rebuild for the next season. Though all four teams are not yet mathematically eliminated from post-season play, the Brewers and Reds need a miracle to hope to contend this season. The Cardinals hope flamethrower Alex Reyes can bring a spark to their rotation as he replaces a struggling Jaime Garcia. Pirates fans hope franchise player Andrew McCutchen can continue his hot streak and get back to the player he has been in his past seven seasons as the Buccos stand 5.5 games behind the New York Mets for the second wildcard spot.

NATIONAL LEAGUE WEST

Leader: Los Angeles Dodgers (82-64)

Though they may be quick to dismiss him, the Los Angeles Dodgers need Yasiel Puig to contribute if they want to make a run in the post-season. When he is hot, Puig is one of the most electric players in the game. After being placed on trade waivers and demoted to AAA Oklahoma City, Yasiel Puig is back with the big league club and is desperate to prove he has earned that right. Perhaps the most dominant starting pitcher in a generation, three-time Cy Young Award winner Clayton Kershaw has had another impressive season though he did spend significant time on the disabled list as he overcame a back injury. The club received more good news as veteran outfielder Andre Ethier has recently returned from the disabled list.

Right Behind: San Francisco Giants (78-68)

Led by aces Madison Bumgarner and Johnny Cueto, the San Francisco Giants hope that their 'even year magic' (The Giants won the World Series in 2010, 2012, and 2014) is back again. With six remaining matchups against the division-leading LA Dodgers, the Giants hope to make a run at the NL West to avoid having their 162 game season come down to a one-game playoff.

Outside Looking In: Colorado Rockies (69-77)

The Rockies, however, do not have the same luxury of the Giants. Eight games below .500, the Rockies can likely go ahead and focus on the future which looks to be focused on the play of all-star third baseman Nolan Arenado and the development of young outfielder David Dahl and injured shortstop Trevor Story.

Eliminated: San Diego Padres (62-84) and Arizona Diamondbacks (62-84)

The Padres and Diamondbacks wind down their 2016 campaigns with very different outlooks. The Padres have made significant trades in hopes of rebuilding their farm system by acquiring high potential prospects such as Anderson Espinoza and Manny Margot while the Diamondbacks had hoped that their 2015 off-season signing of right-hander Zack Greinke and blockbuster trade to acquire right-hander Shelby Miller would lead to a good baseball team in the desert of Phoenix, Arizona. Unfortunately, they lost all-star center fielder AJ Pollock to a fractured elbow during Spring Training and Shelby Miller has struggled for his new ballclub. In hopes of competing this season, the Diamondbacks traded away their former top prospect and the number-one overall pick in the 2015 MLB Draft, Dansby Swanson, to the Atlanta Braves along with outfielder Ender Inciarte and pitching prospect Aaron Blair. While the Padres rebuild plan for the future looks promising, the Diamondbacks hope to make some moves to rebuild for 2017.

AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST

Leader: Boston Red Sox (82-64)

While no lead appears to be safe, the Boston Red Sox enter Friday atop the AL East and hope to send David Ortiz out with a World Series ring. The Red Sox are the only team in baseball to have three players with 100 or more runs batted in (RBI) as Ortiz (114), Mookie Betts (105), and Hanley Ramirez (100) have all had exceptional seasons. The Red Sox hope their starting rotation can remain strong as they have one remaining series against each of their AL East rivals with trips to Baltimore, New York, and Tampa Bay standing between them and the playoffs.

Right Behind: Baltimore Orioles (80-66) and Toronto Blue Jays (80-66)

Baltimore's power alley of Mark Trumbo, Chris Davis, and Manny Machado is a nightmare for opposing pitching to deal with on a night-to-night basis. Unfortunately, the O's may lack the starting rotation to go far in October. Led by 16 game winner Chris Tillman, the Baltimore rotation has had a rough going in 2016 and has needed to rely on offensive production to stay on pace with the Red Sox and Blue Jays in the American League East race. The Orioles may be able to outscore their opponents, but the question remains of how long they can rely on their bats. Similarly, the Blue Jays may need to rely on their pitching to be the difference in the final weeks of the season, but third baseman Josh Donaldson has the ability to carry the club with his bat. The 2015 American League MVP has struggled lately but the slugger's 34 home runs, team-leading batting average and runs scored may be enough to power the Jays in October.

Outside Looking In: New York Yankees (77-69)

A surprise to many, the New York Yankees decided to deal bullpen lefty arms Andrew Miller and Aroldis Chapman to the Indians and Cubs respectively. The New York Yankees seemed content to rebuild for their future and even released struggling 14-time all-star Alex Rodriguez. However, the Yankees kept competing and called up top prospects, catcher Gary Sanchez and outfielder Aaron Judge (who has since been injured). The Yankees didn't miss a beat and recently added designated hitter Billy Butler to bolster their lineup. New York hopes to continue their hot play to earn a chance to play for a wildcard spot or surprise their division rivals in the hunt for the AL East.

Eliminated: Tampa Bay Rays (63-83)

Tampa Bay sits 20 games under .500 with plans to improve their future centered around their young pitching and their very young minor league talent. Would the Rays consider moving veteran third baseman Evan Longoria to speed up their rebuild?

AMERICAN LEAGUE CENTRAL

Leader: Cleveland Indians (84-62)

With a six-game lead in the divisional race, Cleveland enters play on Friday with some room to breathe. Young switch-hitting shortstop Francisco Lindor has had a phenomenal season and starting right-hander Corey Kluber is pitching lights-out. The trade deadline acquisition of reliever Andrew Miller has proven to be a good investment as the lefty has held opposing hitters to a .157 batting average during his time with the Tribe. Perhaps the most 'complete' team in the division, Cleveland looks to be a contender in the playoffs.

Outside Looking In: Detroit Tigers (78-68), Kansas City Royals (74-72), and Chicago White Sox (71-75)

Detroit is right in the middle of the wildcard hunt. Tigers outfielder Justin Upton is a big piece as he continues to struggle in 2016. If Upton can find his swing, the Tigers pose a threat to earn a spot in the wildcard game and perhaps give the division-leading Indians a scare.The Royals have been bit by the injury bug at seemingly the worse possible time. Starting third baseman Mike Moustakas, starting centerfielder Lorenzo Cain, and key bullpen arms Tim Collins and Luke Hochevar have suffered possible season-ending injuries. Last year's World Series champions hope that starting pitcher Danny Duffy can continue his dominance as the Royals look to gain on the Indians and pursue a spot in the playoffs.

Eliminated: Minnesota Twins (55-92)

Following a disappointing 2016, Minnesota is on pace to earn the number one draft pick in the 2017 draft. The future does look bright for the Twins as young talent such as Miguel Sano, Jose Berrios, and Byron Buxton continue to develop.

AMERICAN LEAGUE WEST

Leader: Texas Rangers (87-60)

With 87 wins on the season, Texas enters Friday as the team with the best record in the American League. Veteran third baseman Adrian Beltre leads the team with a .297 batting average and has driven in 97 runs in his age 37 season. The Rangers look to bring home field advantage to Globe Life Park as they wrap up their season with games against the Angels, Athletics, Brewers, and Rays... none of which have winning records.

Outside Looking In: Seatle Mariners (78-68) and Houston Astros (76-70)

These two teams meet six times during the remainder of the season, with three games in each team's park. The Mariners hold a two-game lead over Houston and hope that their current eight-game win streak will propel them to a playoff spot. The Astros have put their slow start to the 2016 season behind them as they enter play Friday six games above .500, although 3.5 games behind the Toronto Blue Jays for the second wild card spot. One of these two teams will have the opportunity to distance themselves and ride momentum from a big division series into the playoff scenario, the question remains, who can do it?

Eliminated: Oakland Athletics (64-82) and Los Angeles Angels (63-83)

Oakland enters Friday with an astonishing fifteen(!) different players on the current disabled list. No matter the level of play, it is extremely difficult for a ballclub to survive that many injuries. Power-hitting left fielder Khris Davis (not to be confused with Orioles slugger Chris Davis) has been a bright spot for the A's with a team leading 37 home runs. Before the trade deadline, veteran lefty Rich Hill was pitching at a high level and the Athletics were able to acquire young right-handed pitchers Frankie Montas, Grant Holmes, and Jharel Cotton from the Dodgers in exchange for Hill and right fielder Josh Reddick. The Angels have had an interesting season as their pitching was unable to keep them in ball games that their inconsistent offense could not. While injuries to pitchers hit the Angels hard and often, few suspected that the Halos would be in the bottom half of runs scored (640) this late in the season. Superstar Mike Trout has had another Mike Trout level season batting .316 and smashing 27 home runs. Veteran designated hitter Albert Pujols has had a renaissance year as the 36-year-old has driven in 110 runs, his most since joining the Angels in 2012.