Michael Carter Williams Changes His Jersey Number After Being Shamed By Bulls Fans

He changed his number to avoid enraging Bulls fans after being shamed.

24
USA Today Sports

It's been 5 years since 2011; Derrick Rose hasn't been as dominant as he once was in his MVP year, after multiple injuries it was only a matter of time before the Bulls decided to make the move to send Derrick Rose packing to New York. The impact of Chicago's hometown hero was enough to leave a lot of Chicago Bulls fans with broken hearts after the trade. Dwyane Wade and Rajon Rondo being picked up by the Bulls in free agency was enough to put a band-aid on fans open wound, but a trade that would send Tony Snell to the Milwaukee Bucks and Michael Carter-Williams to the Bulls added salt to the disappointed Bulls fan unhealed wounds after Carter-Williams requested the number 1 for his jersey number—they agreed to it.

“(It) has nothing to do with D-Rose, who was great for this city,” said Carter-Williams. “He’s an excellent player. I’m not trying to step on toes.”

When the former rookie of the year was acquired by the Bulls, most expected him to keep his number 5 or switch for a new number out of respect for Rose, even the thought of Lakers Jose Calderon, who was traded for Rose and expected to wear number 1, angered Bulls fans which was expressed throughout social media and even towards Calderon himself. The same thing happened to Carter-Williams after his attempt to claim the number 1 for his jersey. After the news was reported Carter-Williams posted a photoshopped image of him in a Bulls jersey displaying the number 1.

👀 let's go...🔴⚪️
A photo posted by Michael Carter-Williams (@mr_carter5) on

That did NOT sit well with Bulls fans; Leading to fans expressing their opinions throughout Carter-Williams social media.

We have established that the quickest way to get hated by Bulls fans if you are on the team—simply wear the jersey number 1, it is off-limits, a healing wound that shouldn't be picked at if you want fans support. Carter-Williams undoubtedly saw all of the hatred pouring into his notifications on social media and decided to make an announcement that nothing is official. "So happy to be in Chicago," stated Carter-Williams "As far as my number goes nothing is official until tonight." It was later confirmed by Chuck Garfien that the former Buck would be wearing number 7 on his jersey.

Why is it such a big deal that Bulls fans would care so much for a jersey number on a player when Rose was traded by the Bulls and chose to wear the number 25 on the New York Knicks?

Simply put, Bulls fans have over sensitized themselves with any Derrick Rose "Slander" being made. Stating that Derrick Rose can never be the dominant player he once was will set off most fans, but their injury jokes, constant criticism and claims that he can never be MVP again that would drive fans mad when the 2011 MVP was on the Bulls, fans stayed very confident in Rose and always tried to support him through every injury, most claiming that Rose can be at MVP level again next season.This went on for 5 years; and since then Bulls fans were labeled as one of the most delusional fan bases with their claims. So when a fan base as loyal as it gets has their most achieving player since Michael Jordan traded it created a lot of criticism towards the Bulls office.

Let's face it; A lot of Bulls fans came to be because of Jordan and the impact and mark he left for the city and the game of basketball was huge and inspiring, fans growing up craved to have someone like that to play in the league again, Rose was that candidate in 2011 and even now Bulls fans treasure him as one of the Bulls greatest players of all time. Some wanted his number retired and thought of Carter-Williams taking his old jersey number as a sign of disrespect to Rose.

But is it really that big of a deal to welcome a new player to your own team by shaming him and leaving hateful comments over a number? Rose isn't Jordan; He didn't win 6 championships and multiple awards to solidify himself as one of the greatest, but the all-star still accomplished more than most Bulls players since Jordan, and fans hold those accomplishments very dear to them. But is it really worth unofficially retiring Rose's jersey number?

For now, It was a smart move by Carter-Williams to change his mind to avoid the controversy; Advice until the end of the season (or however long the jersey number fad lasts.) for any future Chicago Bulls player? Don't choose number 1.