Mental Illness And The Stigma Against It

It's not okay.

17
Challenge 2 Change

Selena Gomez. Kanye West. Carrie Fisher. Demi Lovato. Leonard DiCaprio. Robin Williams. Angelina Jolie. Charlie McDonnell. Zoe Sugg. Shane Dawson. John Green. Lady Gaga. Kurt Cobain. All of these people are different people and celebrities of past and present, but they have one major thing in common, and it isn't their fame. All of these people, along with more, have admitted to and gotten help with their mental illnesses. While they have gathered the courage to admit to their problems, and received praise for it, they have received even more backlash.

Their courage, and the response, however, has brought to light the growing problem we have here in the United States. One in four American adults (a quarter of the population) suffer from a diagnosable mental illness. Of those, 75% say they have personally experienced some sort of negativity or disgrace because of it.

The stigma our society has set against mental illness is in no way acceptable. A stigma, in short, is defined as a majority viewing something as a disgrace. Many with mental illnesses have experienced this negativity, even including celebrities. They are told they are weak, or aren't capable, or crazy, or that they're just acting that way to get attention. Even teenagers are being told the same thing. With so many of those with mental illnesses being shamed, there are many more people who choose to suffer in silence because of what they see others experience. And then they don't get the help they need, and can be lead to drastic measures. Suicide rates in the United States have raised by 30% in the past decade, and are at the highest they have been in 30 years.

It's a vicious cycle, but not one without a solution. It's obvious something needs to be fixed in the American society. Mental illness is a serious issue, and not something that is chosen, not something that can be helped, and it isn't something that can be fixed overnight. But there are several things that can be done about how we treat those with them.

The first thing to do, and possibly the easiest, is to continue to raise awareness. While stigma against mental illness is at his highest, so is the awareness of it. We now have treatments for almost, if not all, mental illnesses,and people are now able to speak out on them. However, there is still work to be done. Make sure before anything else that you educate yourself. Look up as many websites and resources as you can that can inform you of various mental illnesses and their issues. Find out how you can take care of your own psychological well-being, as well as support those who need help with it. Be ready to discuss mental illness with those around you, and be sure to inform them. Take part in any way you can during May; Mental Health Awareness Month.

After people have made themselves aware, changes need to be made in the way we communicate. Mental illness is a real problem, and communication is the only way anything can be fixed. Too long, it has been an uncomfortable, or even taboo subject. While it's okay to feel uncomfortable, because mental illness is a serious issue, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed. Discussion should be encouraged, because only in that way can we find the faults in our society's views, and how to change them.

Once better communication is accomplished, we can come up with and put in place some real solutions in our society to improve the lives of those with mental illness. Provide more education in schools about mental illnesses, as well as provide resources for children that may have them. Make therapy a less taboo thing to invest in.

We should also start treating mental illness more seriously. As illness is in the phrase, it should be treated like any other. Allow sick days and coverage, as well as understanding. No mental illness should be disregarded.

The stigma against mental illness in the United States is a major issue, however, it is not one without solutions. If we can change the way people think, and start a conversation, we can start to fix it. Mental illness is a serious issue that affects countless Americans. I hope those with it know that they are not alone, and no matter what it seems or what you are brought to think, there will always be help and love out there for you.