Men, Especially Fraternities, Need To Take More Responsibility For Sexual Assault

Men, Especially Frat Bros, Need To Take More Responsibility For Sexual Assault

This is far from just a women's issue.

97
stand up

Last week was homecoming weekend, and as you would expect, there were a bunch of parties with metric shit tons of alcohol. However, some parties served more than that; last weekend, a woman that I know and her friend had their drinks laced with lean at one of the many frat parties going on around campus.

I try not to associate myself with fraternity people in general, mostly because I think that they're assholes (a generalization to be sure, but probably an accurate one), and this is just one of the reasons why. It makes absolutely no sense to me how on a college campus, supposedly one of the most liberal, progressive places in the world, fraternities are always pulling shit like this and getting away with it. It's like they play by their own rules, and the universities themselves couldn't care less.

What's more concerning to me is that the university's response to things like this (or lack thereof) is that there are still men out there who actually believe that drugging a woman isn't an awful thing to do. The fact that stories like this continue to come out of college fraternities is proof enough to me that this is not the exception, but the rule.

Of course, a woman who is not sober, whether it be from alcohol or drugs, cannot give consent, and any attempt to have sex with her would be classified as sexual assault or rape. The thing is fraternities know that. They just don't care. As far as they're concerned, they just want to get some good pussy and they don't really much care how.

As terrible a reality as this is, women are far too aware that this scenario is always a possibility. As a man, I don't think about whether someone drugged my drink, or get nervous when I'm walking alone at night. That just isn't in my world, but women have it drilled into them from a very young age because the possibility is always there.

Additionally, because men don't ever really think about rape or sexual assault, we men tend to dismiss it as a women's issue, as if it's only something women have to be worried about. However, this is extremely irresponsible. First off, men can get raped so it's not like only women are being raped, but treating rape and sexual assault as a women's issue creates plausible deniability for men. The burden is shifted onto women to not get raped when that burden should really be placed on men to just no fucking rape people! I don't think that that's a super radical stance.

Apparently, there are still lots of men out there who don't seem all that bothered by raping a woman, and a lot of them live in frat houses. Just because you're not holding her down doesn't mean it's not rape. Some don't know that, but many do and just don't give a shit, which is worse. Men are just as responsible, if not more responsible than women when it comes to sexual assault. Nobody blames the murder victim for getting murdered, and nobody should blame the rape victim for getting raped.