Mayor Lightfoot Implements New COVID-19 Restrictions in Chicago

Lightfoot urges Chicagoans to stay at home and cancel Thanksgiving plans.

13

Chicago's journey with COVID-19 feels as though the city has taken five steps forward and ten steps backward. Chicago was fortunate enough to be able to re-open the doors to bars and restaurants this past summer, but due to a lack of social distancing and an increase in gatherings that were not COVID friendly, the city is facing another lockdown. As of November 3, data has shown that 1 in 18 Chicagoans are positive for the COVID-19 virus. Lightfoot explained that, with numbers this high, it is possible that we could lose roughly 1,000 lives within the next seven weeks.

As of 6 a.m. on Monday morning, Lightfoot implemented another Stay-At-Home advisory, similar to what we saw in March. She explained that, since COVID-19 cases are on the rise once again, Chicagoans should not be leaving their homes unless it is for essential purposes. Interestingly enough, restaurants will remain open for outdoor dining throughout the next thirty days, but the mayor is strongly urging people to cancel their traditional Thanksgiving plans to combat the spread of the virus.

In addition to the Stay-At-Home advisory, the city is limiting gatherings and social events to ten people or less. This includes weddings, funerals and other gatherings that typically involve large crowds. Though the limit does not apply to gyms or retail stores, be aware that certain gyms are choosing to close their doors for the time being.

During this time, it is important that Chicagoans limit social contact, wear masks and avoid non-essential travel. Continue to social distance, and stay home as much as possible.