4 Ways to Save Your Skin From Mask Breakouts

Because nobody wants "Maskne"

35

National and statewide mandates have made masks a staple of going out in public. For those still able to mostly quarantine, this means wearing a mask for a couple of hours a day to do basic errands, but, but for people who can't work or go to school from home, the mask is an all-day ordeal. As a long time acne sufferer myself, wearing a mask for 8-9 hours a day was beginning to take it's toll. But this new normal doesn't have to be a sacrifice of healthy skin or healthy body. Here are 4 tips to help you keep your skin clear while keeping yourself and others around you safe.

1. DON'T touch your mask

It can be tempting to itch or adjust your mask throughout the day, but doing so can affect your skin and your risk for COVID. Touching or rubbing your mask causes unnecessary pressure on your skin that can lead to breakouts, especially if you haven't washed your hands. The pressure coupled with your breath dries out your skin and traps oil in the pores. Also, touching your mask with unwashed hands is detrimental in staying safe from the virus itself. If you must touch, wash your hands!

2. DO wear the right kind of fabric

Avoid synthetic fabrics when selecting a cloth mask. Things like polyester and rayon are both irritating and less-effective in filtering air. Cotton is great for filtering and is gentler on the skin. Also, make sure your mask fits properly and snug around your face to avoid unnecessary rubbing against the skin as well as having to touch and adjust your mask throughout the day.

3. DON'T wear makeup

Everyone's skin is different and everyone has a different reaction to skin makeup, but makeup under a mask can speed up the breakout process. For those who have to wear a mask for longer periods of time, foundation free might be best. But for those who are out and about for less hours, wearing lightweight water-based formulas may do the trick.

4. DO wash/replace your mask

If you choose a cloth mask, make sure to wash it frequently and if you choose disposable masks, replace them with each use. It may seem like a no brainer, but these are stressful times and little things like these can be overlooked. For skin and sanitation reasons, make sure to wash your cloth masks in warm water unless otherwise stated.

Whatever your skin type and whatever your situation, make sure to wear your mask correctly and safely.