"Avoid Wearing Makeup" And 5 Other Tips For Those Struggling With 'Maskne' During COVID-19

Wearing protective masks means you may have to change your skincare routine.

71
Jo Trupp

This pandemic has created many new circumstances for us all, including quarantine, social distancing and assimilating masks into our everyday wear. Although the masks are protecting us from airborne bacteria, they're also cultivating a space on your face for acne.

Dermatologists have coined the term 'maskne' to describe the unwanted acne that's popping up.

So, how are masks forming acne?

Well, the skin on your face is very sensitive to the environment around you and what you put on it.

According to dermatologist Dr. Samer Jaber, when you are wearing masks often, you'll sustain a moist and humid area underneath it from your breathing. This can trap sweat, oil, dirt and makeup within your pores. Most acne is caused by these materials on our skin, so wearing a mask every day is just speeding up this process.

Along with acne, the masks can cause rashes, irritation and worsen previous skin conditions, like eczema. Even just the fabric against your skin can do damage!

With the restrictions we're all facing during quarantine, who wants another thing to stress and worry about!?

Even if you're not seeing an increased amount of acne around your nose and mouth yet, you should still take some precautions.

Here are some tips you should follow in order to prevent growth, and keep your face clean.

1. Take your mask off whenever you can, as long as it's safe to do so.

This will be a lifesaver. Let your face breathe!

2. Avoid wearing makeup under your mask.

If you want to make your eyes pop, wear all the eye shadow you want, but avoid makeup that may rub on your mask!

3. Wash your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser for your skin type.

YouTube

There are tons of options!

4. Air out your masks in order to keep them dry before you use them.

Don't put on a wet mask.

5. Keep your skin moisturized, especially any irritation. 

pxfuel

This will help irritation.

6. Wash your reusable masks daily, or use fresh ones when possible.

Here's a great video for some tips on this!