Why March For Our Lives Is So Important
Politics

Why March For Our Lives Is So Important

Stand up for what's right

301
Why March For Our Lives Is So Important

On March 24, thousands of students and families will participate in an organized demonstration “March For Our Lives” in the streets of Washington D.C. as a way to demand stricter gun regulations and bring awareness to stop mass shootings in our schools today.

This event was resulted after a deadly mass shooting on Feb. 14 at the Parkland, Florida Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school where 17 people were allegedly killed by a former student making it one of the deadliest school massacres. Many were surprised as to how the gun man was able to purchase a gun since he was already a “troubled kid.”

Shortly after this horrible incident, students of this high school were determined to make a change in our country’s gun laws. There were many protests, many rally’s, and the voices of the younger generations being heard. Many of the students-turned-activists have met with President Trump, and among many pushing lawmakers for increased gun control.

This event is being held and organized by survivors of the school shooting and is mainly funded through donations. Celebrities such as George and Amal Clooney, Oprah, Eli Broad, and Spielberg have donated to this cause.

These students are tired of a cycle that our government is doing nothing about. Although recently, with the help of the students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school, Governor Rick Scott signed a bill to raise the minimum age from 18 to 21 for buying rifles on March 9.

There will also be a 17-minute National School Walkout on March 14, which will honor all those killed as well as protest gun violence. With all that is being done, nothing will stop the younger generations from changing our country for the better. These unifying experiences are necessary because no child should feel unsafe in school. Why the March For Our Lives is important is because students like us need to demand a change, we need to prioritize the safely of our lives, not just everywhere but especially in schools, where we go to learn, not be killed.

You can also donate to the organization if you cannot attend. You can find more information on the official March For our Lives website at

www.marchforourlives.com