Ladies, You Don't Need A Man To Make You Happy

Honey, You Don't 'Need A Man' To Make You Better Because You Are Already More Than Enough

Happiness comes from within.

185
Megan Martin

It frustrates me seeing people hopping from relationship to relationship, afraid of being alone.

There was a time when I was in a relationship... if you could even call it that. It was nice being able to talk to someone about their day and mine daily. The memories that are made are fun and will last forever, but since being out on my own and not having anyone to check in on, it's freeing.

Don't get me wrong, being in a relationship is fun and all, but when it comes to the point of the relationship ending, maybe you should pause and have a moment to yourself instead of jumping to find a new one.

I was never the girl to rely on a guy. I got enough support from my family and friends. I wasn't craving the attention of someone or constantly wanting to be showered with their love.

I don't look for a guy to bring me happiness. I create my own.

One afternoon, I was standing in my parents' kitchen with my mom and dad. I don't remember how the topic came to be, but I remember thanking my dad for raising me to be my own independent person and not having to rely on anyone but myself.

Along with that, I knew if I truly needed help in any given situation I could go to anyone in my family.

He went on to say something along the lines of, "I taught you and your sisters to be your own independent person and being in charge of your own future, financially and all. You don't need a man to do that for you."

I don't know if he said that to me because he doesn't want me to ever get married, but I knew he and my mom had good intentions in raising us the way they did.

We were in charge of buying our own car, they never bought us our first one.

We were also in charge of paying for college. They did help, but the majority of it is our responsibility.

They weren't ones to hand everything to us, and for that, I am thankful because otherwise, I would have expected to have everything handed to me with little to no effort done on my part.

Everything in my life, whether that was a trip I wanted to go on or a job I was seeking, I did it on my own.

Sometimes, I think it would be easier to find a guy that could take care of me and let him take care of me financially and not have a worry in the world, but it's not who I am meant to be or what I truly want in life.

Creating my own happiness is the best way to be happy.

There are times when I am in a slump and someone may help pull me out of it, but when I get to choose to do things on my own, for myself, it's the best feeling.

Not being tied down allows me to go to places I want to without having to check to see if it's OK with someone else. I know of relationships where the partner gets upset when the other person wants to go out with some friends. The partner makes the other feel bad for wanting to go have some fun and catch up with their friends.

That feels like control.

Now, if you have that special someone in your life, allow them to bring some happiness to you, but the majority of your happiness should come from you.

Just know that you can live your life without relying on someone else to be there to bring you happiness. When you are on your own, you grow as a person and learn so much more about yourself, what you want in life and goals you have set out for yourself.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.