Why You Should Vote
Politics

Why You Should Vote

Uncle Sam and I have something in common-- we both want YOU to vote.

14
Why You Should Vote
Huffington Post

Imagine you are sitting in a classroom with your peers. The professor decides to let the class have a movie day and take a break from the material being taught. She presents her pupils with two choices for a movie: either a horror movie or a drama. The class is then asked to raise their hands and vote for which movie they would rather watch. No matter the outcome, you are forced to watch the movie that was chosen by the majority of the students. For some reason, you decide not to vote for which movie you want to watch. To your dismay, the horror movie won by one vote. You hate horror movies! There is no use in complaining. You are stuck in the class for the remainder of the class with no choice but to watch , a movie that you do not care much for. Your vote could have helped change the results of which movie would be shown.

This is what happens when people do not vote in elections. Americans like to complain about the political system our nation has in place, or the politicians that work and govern locally or in Washington D.C. Despite this, many Americans, despite their complaints and desire for change, do not vote.

I do not want to tell you who to vote for. All I merely want to do is to urge whoever is eligible to go out to the voting booths, whether it be a presidential election or a local election, and vote.

Voting is not a God-given right, it is a privilege. Throughout our nation’s history, United States citizens had to fight for their right to vote and let their voices be heard. Originally, the only people in the country who were permitted to vote were white landowners. It was not until 1850 when land ownership restrictions were lifted and all (and only) white, adult men could vote. In 1870, after a grueling civil war, the 15th amendment was passed and protected the right of any adult male of any race to vote. Finally, women’s battle for the right to vote ended in 1920, with the passing of the 19th amendment. Besides these significant milestones in the history of American voting, there were much, much more legislation passed that eventually got us to the place where we are now, voter eligibility wise.

This year, we are in the middle of an election that is unlike any we have seen in recent years. Every day, there is a new major headline breaking the news, making this election seem more like a reality show than an actual election.

Though the two candidates who represent the two major political parties are not particularly liked by all, in less than a month, one of them will be elected to be the 45th president of the United States. They will make important decisions regarding domestic and foreign policies. They will shape what the Supreme Court and federal courts look like, and these courts will dictate how we interpret laws years to come.They will become our next commander-in-chief, making important decisions regarding any military actions domestically or intentionally, as well as how to protect us from terrorism.

You, as an American, have the opportunity and good fortune to let your voice be heard. This is something citizens of our great nation have fought and died for years upon years, just to protect these rights. Do not sit idly by and waste your opportunity to be heard. Use your voice, make sure to vote. Remember, your vote does count.