Luis Suarez to England: Good or Bad?

Luis Suarez to England: Good or Bad?

On paper, the move makes sense for both clubs to a degree but for Suarez, not so much.

8
Luis Suarez to England: Good or Bad?
Twitter Football Edits

Luis Suarez is one of the most well-known soccer players in the world. He has achieved an extraordinary amount during his senior career at multiple clubs and this has not gone unnoticed by bigger name soccer clubs around the world. Obviously, his team FC Barcelona noticed his talents a few years ago and they worked tirelessly to make him a part of their already powerful squad. Along with Neymar and Messi, Suarez makes a powerful front line that is difficult to keep off the score sheet. This fact has started to make other teams notice Luis Suarez once again, although he was never really out of people’s minds to begin with and now, there is a suggestion that he may change clubs again.

For Suarez himself, it is not the best move to go to another club. His suitors are, according to the rumors, Manchester United and Manchester City. These two clubs pull in some of the biggest names in world fútbol and they also make more money than most every other club in the world. These two clubs are some of the only ones that could actually make an offer for Suarez. For Suarez, he has the most shot of winning titles at Barcelona. The Catalan club has won an astronomical amount of trophies in the last few years. In all competitions, there have been 35 trophies won since the year 2000, according to the Barcelona website. Most of these have been won in the past 5 years. Suarez would have a better chance of winning trophies in European competition and possibly domestic competition as well.

For Manchester United and Manchester City, the move makes sense to some degree. Suarez is an out and out striker that is good with turning with the ball and shooting. He did this at Liverpool and was scoring for fun. He has done so again at Barcelona. Both clubs would gain a valuable player that could score on a weekly basis for them. However, Manchester United and Manchester City both have scorers up front already. Manchester United recently made some big name signings this summer and they have the striker position filled already. Wayne Rooney and Zlatan Ibrahimovich have disappointed as of late but they do start for United quite often. Singing Suarez would almost guarantee a move away from Old Trafford for Wayne Rooney. Wayne Rooney has been the face of English fútbol for many years, scoring 53 goals for his national team. A move away for him would be big news in the world of fútbol and could cause unrest in the locker room at United.

The squad of Manchester City on the other hand, has had no problems scoring their share of goals this season and have amounted a sum of 24 goals through 10 games. The strikers of Manchester City have been firing on all cylinders and as a result, the squad has the best goal differential of any club in the English top flight. The squad is doing well, so why disrupt that? Suarez is not the same striker that Agüero is. Agüero relies on his speed to burst past players whereas Suarez relies on his strength and movement off the ball. Pitting these two against one another for a starting spot could be disastrous.

For FC Barcelona, the move would both help and hurt them. Suarez is a highly paid player. Much of the club’s squad makes upwards of a few million Euros a year. This puts strain on the club. A pro of Suarez leaving is that it would free up some revenue for the club. However, the club would be forced to redevelop the front line, because the backups for the front line are simply not at the same level as Suarez.

On paper, the move makes sense for both clubs to a degree but for Suarez, not so much. He has greater opportunity at FC Barcelona. Both clubs would gain a valuable asset but he would not thrive as much as a player in England. Suarez is a good move for England, but England is not a good move for Suarez.