If You Don't Have To Work Your Way Through College, You're One Of The Lucky Ones

There are many students have to work during school to support themselves while many do not. Those who don't have to don't understand the many stresses that others have all of the time.

48

If you're anything like me, your parents don't pay for many of your expenses while in college. This sometimes puts a strain on relationships as well as happiness (only sometimes). Since I attended an out of state school, like many students, school is very VERY expensive. In addition, private student loans are actually a rip off because interest rates suck. I have always had to work, even in high school if I wanted to do anything fun or buy something not on sale.

But in college, my expenses became way more expensive — rent, food, electricity, tuition, sorority, all of it.

Sometimes I feel like I am missing out on activities because I have to work and on top of that, many of my friends do not have to worry about their expenses. This is worse in Arizona I have noticed as many of friends back home pay their own expenses. However, my friends in Arizona ask me to go out to eat or do anything that costs more money than I have ALL OF THE TIME. I then end up extra stressed because I feel like I have to go or else I get FOMO which results in me in having actually more spending money for anything else.

I'm sure that many can relate to this dilemma that I run into almost every single day of my life!

This is a vicious cycle that those who don't have to work to pay their own way don't understand do not understand. I can't even imagine how nice it would be not having to work during school and focus on my grades and social life. These people can be more involved on campus because they have more free time which boosts their resumes while I have a minimum wage job that has nothing to do with my major or career goals. I do think that working a part-time job is a great way to build character and not having a job at all before graduating college could potentially be a problem.

If you don't have to work during college, don't take it for granted and try to understand those who do! If you do, there are many people that understand your struggles and stresses!