This semester, I decided to write my thesis. With it being my senior year and being a requirement for my major, I had to do it sometime. It was without a doubt the longest paper I've ever written as well as one of the most challenging things I've done for a class. I spent so many hours researching ideas, reading scholarly articles, and writing, editing, and writing again. Needless to say, I'm glad it's done. For those who haven't yet – or never have to – write a thesis, here's what that process was like, as told by our favorite boobs: Drake and Josh.
1. Finding out that you’d have to write a thesis was devastating
Since I'm a transfer student, I was unaware that this was even a thing. But I learned soon enough after I heard my professors talking about it.
2. Trying to come up with an original idea is super difficultGiphy
The idea behind the thesis is that you're writing about something new, unlike a regular research paper where you can write about something that's been written about before. Trying to find a unique topic is half the battle.
3. Reading long analytical articles that use way too many words that you don’t know
I adopted a policy when reading through my sources that if I read a sentence three times and *still* had no idea what it meant, I'd just skip it and read on.
4. Trying to convince yourself that the process won’t be *that* badDrake And Josh Fun GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy
5. When the other thesis students are talking about their papers and they’ve made more progress than youRemember Drake And Josh GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy
Them: "I wrote my introduction plus three pages last night!"
You, thinking: "I literally haven't started yet. Am I behind?!"
6. When you don’t want to work on it, it’s all too easy to find another activity to distract youGiphy
7. My friends when I’d complain about my thesis
Shout out to my friends for accepting the excuse "I need to work on my thesis tonight." You're the real MVPs here.
8. You write away for half an hour and only end up with a couple pages of material
9. When you’re done with a paragraph and try to convince yourself that it sounds smart, or even the cooliest if you will
Throw in some of those big words you don't understand from the source material and you're set!
10. After so many pages, it sounds like you’re saying the same things over and over
11. As the deadline gets closer and closer, the stress only goes up
12. Putting off editing until tomorrow probably won’t helpGiphy
13. When you finally submit your thesis and you’re so happy to be done
Only now can I finally enjoy Christmas.