6 Things You Learn In A Military Relationship

You have to be patient and trust the timing. Instead of having a regular 2 p.m. conversation, it’s a 14:00 one.

2024
Samantha Bhavani Rangel Cano

When dating someone in the military, it can be tough. It’s not always rainbows and butterflies. Sometimes it’s long days, sleepless nights, and doing things on your own. It’s not always bad – sometimes it’s great.

Here’s some of the good things about dating a military man, or even woman, and also something’s I’ve learned.

1. Seeing your spouse in his camis and dress blues

Let’s just face it, nothing is cuter than a man in uniform, and let's just say the haircuts that go with it make them absolutely stunning.

2. Getting a million first kisses, all over again

It’s tough saying goodbye when your spouse leaves for a field op or deployment. However, the good thing is you always get to experience the first kiss all over again. You always get to feel that rush of excitement, nervousness, and butterflies all over again, every time they come back home.

What’s a better feeling than that?

3. Knowing that your spouse is dedicating his self to defend our country, protect all these people, and also live his life on the line

It’s amazing and frightening at the same time. I’m not big on politics, by any means, but nowadays seeing how this country has taken a turn it takes a lot to stand up and defend it. He does just that and goes beyond doing it.

4. You pick and choose your battles, very wisely

You might have silly little arguments here and there, but nothing too serious. You learn to put your pride to the side because spending more time with them smiling rather than crying is better than no time at all. You never want your person to leave on bad terms, being the fact there’s a 50/50 chance he might not come back.

You pick your battles wisely because sometimes having the last word isn’t that important.

5. You learn time and patience

By this, I mean when it comes to the military everything is constantly changing. My husband is in the Marine Corp, so we’re always the last to know things. It can sometimes be frustrating especially when they are gone on all the first holidays of your relationship.

You have to be patient and trust the timing because if you don’t, you’ll always be aggravated, and it can take its toll on you. It’s kind of funny when you start learning military time as well. Instead of having a regular 2 p.m. conversation, it’s a 14:00 one.

6. You learn trust and communication

When in a military relationship you have to accept that your partner and you will be apart more than you are together at times. If you don’t have trust, you will crumble and you will break. Especially with the distance. You have to have good communication, even if it’s little text messages, five-minute phone calls, Snapchat conversations or FaceTime calls. You learn how to make it work because if you don’t it won’t end well.

Being in a military relationship can be stressful, tiring, and long. However, it’s worth it. You learn to cherish one another in a way that’s unexplainable, you learn to be happy with the little time you do get. It’s amazing. It’s a headache and a complete roller coaster ride, but at the end of the day, it truly is something beautiful.