Being A "College Cougar" And Dating A High School Senior Isn't Easy

It's not easy, but it's worth it.

685
Colleen Finney

Since we've come up on Valentine's Day I thought I'd take the time to talk about something sweet and sappy. Oh, love. It's what makes the world go round. It gives us happiness and joy as well as sadness and heartbreak and every emotion in between. It's something we choose to feel but is something we constantly ask for.

I've chosen to be in a relationship for over 2 years now and I'd be lying if I said it was easy being committed to someone, especially at the age I am at. We've been through a lot of ups and downs, but what relationship hasn't? I'm a freshman in college and he's a senior in high school. This has been the hardest down and the biggest obstacle in our relationship thus far. We know we can't control this which makes it that much harder.

Being a senior in high school, there are so many things going on. Many lasts, graduation, wondering where to go in the fall. It's all so much to take in. Being a freshman in college is a lot as well. A new place, new people, being on your own. There's so much to learn.

My boyfriend and I knew this change was coming my senior year, but we never dreamt it would be this hard. All the drives I've made back and forth between home and school, all the facetime calls, the late night texting. It's been a struggle. The hardest part is I'm practically living 2 different lives, my college life and my life back home. This can be hard for him to understand. He doesn't understand the world I'm living in and I understand his because I lived it already. It sucks because he will get it next year when he's in college.

Sometimes we fight just because we miss each other. It's so annoying because we know if we were together we wouldn't be arguing. This transition is very hard because when I was in high school, we had the same friends, did all the same things together, if we wanted to hang out it was just a short drive.

Now I have a whole new group of friends at college, I'm trying things I've never done before and that short drive turned into 3 hours. I can't help but wonder if next year will be easier or even harder. We could potentially be even farther apart from each other and he's going to be going through exactly what I'm going through right now. It's like I'm always one step ahead and he's always one behind me.

My biggest goal going into college was to not miss out on his senior year. This wasn't easy. I attended many football games, senior night, homecoming, etc. Sometimes it was hard finding time in my schedule and other times it was very easy to attend things back home.

It's always a mystery on what's going to happen next, but in the end, I wouldn't have it any other way. Relationships take work, we know this, therefore, we continue to put in the effort for one another. When the time comes we will be on the same page, it just takes patience and constantly being there for one another.