Love At First Sight: A Guide To Get Through The Awkwardness
relationships

Love At First Sigh: A Guide To Get Through The Awkwardness

Just because it's awkward at first, doesn't mean it's not meant to be.

129

I stopped in front of his dorm and he opened my passenger car door and said, "are you my Uber?" I proceeded to roll my eyes and awkwardly laugh as we headed to a classy dinner at Raising Cane's. This was my first, let's say encounter, with my now boyfriend. However, if you would've told me we'd be dating back then I would have never believed you.

Not everyone hits it off the first time they meet. Remember the last time you had to walk into a classroom and you didn't know anyone in the room? You sat down next to someone who looks moderately nice and tried to strike up a conversation. "So, what's your major?" Or maybe, "How far did you have to walk from your dorm to get here? Because getting here is half the fight." Meeting new people is always hard and you never know which interaction could change your life forever.

One thing I have learned about my boyfriend is that he can be shy when meeting someone for the first time. It takes him a few interactions with someone before he gets comfortable. On the other hand, I have been in a lot of positions where I have to interact with new people and make them feel comfortable in the conversation. However, when it comes to interacting with boys my mind sometimes goes to mush. Put us both together and it was a hot mess express.

But despite the awkwardness, he didn't give up. I think that is step one in overcoming the awkwardness: if you're truly interested in the other person, give them a chance. Give yourself a few interactions with the other person before you completely make up your mind. Everyone deserves a chance to be themselves and who knows, it might just pay off.

You gave them a chance, but it's still too awkward to make conversation when it's just you two. The second step I would suggest in overcoming the awkwardness is hanging out together in a group. I know it sounds childish, but having a group of people with you can act like a buffer when things get quiet.

When my boyfriend and I were first starting to hang out we had a game night with a few of his friends and it was a blast. If someone didn't have something to say, there were always other people that had something to add to the conversation. Soon after we went to a baseball game with his roommate. If the conversation came to a stop his roommate was there to add in a few words to break the ice.

The last piece of advice I have is to make sure you're ready to date and be open. Sometimes you are single for so long (basically my entire life) and you aren't used to sharing your life with someone. You have to ask yourself if this is something you want and something you're ready for. And if you're not, that's okay! Give yourself time and communicate that to your potential partner. If you are ready to be in a relationship, be prepared to be open.

The only way you are going to get to know someone better is by letting yourself open up and be vulnerable. This can be SO scary sometimes. Take your time and go slow with the information you share. You don't need to tell the other person your entire life story on your first date. Gradually let them into your life and trust them when they show you they can be trusted.

Dating someone new can be exciting and intimidating all at the same time. Don't be afraid to take a chance because that person might just end up being the one for you.