How To Make A Long-Distance Relationships Work

Long-Distance Relationships Can Work If You're Willing To Fight, And Flight, For Each Other

Near or far, you are always a part of me.

170
Erica Schimel

"I ______ you."

Whether we both wanted to scream it from the top of our lungs, or genuinely tell each other how much we appreciate one another, we both fought hard to say those three words in person (if we did not let it slip).

This summer I studied abroad in London, and the day I got accepted, I did not know the man standing next to me was going to be the one I fell in love with. We didn't know at the time that we had such strong feelings for one another.

It was the end of the spring semester, and now it was time to have the big talk on "what are we going to do?" Then, I put my guard up, shielding whatever life was going to throw at me during that talk.

Fast forward, and there was this unspoken trust and loyalty between us, as I left the country, flying to the other side of the world.

Were there some rocky moments and hard times? Yes. And I was scared I was going to lose him, but then I realized the deeper feelings I had for him. Never in my life did I want to stand up and scream "I LOVE YOU, TAYLOR" more to the whole world.

Somehow we both had this gut feeling we wanted to say it, so we started saying "I blank you" instead. We worked so hard to try and talk a little every day because of the time difference, but neither one of us ever gave up.

We knew what we were fighting for was worth it. Communication is always key.

What I am trying to say is that long distance can be a struggle, but it is manageable. If two people are willing to put in the time and effort, and like each other enough, it will feel like you two were never separated. Do NOT ever let someone tell you "long distance never works out," because with the right person it always does.

If someone is "too lazy" to fight for you every day, then they were never worth your time. No matter how far or how near, you should always feel like the other person is with you because they are. They are in your heart.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.