Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone

Playing it safe, is easy. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is difficult - but rewarding.

10
www.tumblr.com

A few days ago, I tried something new for the first time in a long time. I realized I hadn’t been pushing myself to my limits, and wanted to get back on track to doing so. I decided to take a free yoga class at Elizabeth Park. It was unbearably hot out that day, and I knew once I stepped outside I would immediately start sweating. At first, I contemplated not going. I could think of so many other things I wanted to do; I could go swimming, I could go to the gym, I could take a nap, or I could read a book. But, I didn’t need to do any of them - I was really just thinking of excuses. So, I stopped complaining and went to the class by myself. It was a little unsettling at first - knowing that I would probably look like a fool because I am FAR from flexible! I can barely touch my toes, so I knew I was in for an interesting experience.

Surprisingly, the class was refreshing. It brought me to a peaceful moment, and I felt like I was able to connect with myself, and others around me. I let the stress of the day roll off my shoulders and just took in my surroundings. It was nice to push myself out of my comfort zone, and try something new. It was even more rewarding that I tried it alone. And, I ended up really loving it.

Playing it safe, is easy. Stepping out of your comfort zone is difficult, but rewarding. After all, life truly begins at the end of your comfort zone. It’s hard to take risks and do things that challenge us. It’s uncomfortable to know that if you do something you’re not used to, you could fail. Yes, that’s true. But, how are you supposed to know that you don’t like something if you never tried it? How are you supposed to like sushi if you never give it a chance? How are you supposed to be afraid of flying in a plane if you’ve never been in one?

It’s a good feeling staying inside of your comfort zone. It’s safe, it’s familiar, and you always know what will happen next. But, is it a rewarding feeling? Do you feel like you are living life to your fullest potential? No. When you don’t allow yourself to step outside of your comfort zone, you aren’t allowing yourself to live. You aren’t allowing yourself to explore the possibilities that life is holding.

Maybe, you’re really good at rock climbing, but you’re too scared to try it. Maybe, you’re really good at painting, but you’re too lazy to pick up a paint brush. Maybe, you’re really good at writing, but you don’t want to put the effort into trying. Maybe, you want to try a lot of things, but you can’t find the courage to do it.

I thought that too. I figured I’m 21 years old, I’ve already found out what my hobbies are. In my head, there was no need for me to continue searching. I was surprised when I realized I liked yoga so much. It brought me a sense of closure and peacefulness that I haven’t found in other hobbies.

Try something new every day. Whether it’s eating seafood, or climbing a mountain. You will be surprised with the outcome.