Start Your 2020 Off Right With These 20 Pieces of Anonymous Life Advice

Whether we like it or not, the positive vibes of life always seem to find a way to us. There's not a day that goes by where we won't see or hear motivational quotes, find positive social media accounts and come across some inspirational house decor. It can seem cheesy, and maybe even over the top at times, but I'd be lying myself if I didn't say it wasn't needed in some moments.

Since it is the beginning of a new year (and a new decade), I would assume that at least a number of people are looking to make some sort of positive change in their life. Whether that be completing a specific goal, or gaining a new perspective, I wanted to provide a list of generic pieces of life advice from my friends, family and social media followers.

Life sure is one big mystery, and it's a tough thing to navigate for anyone of any age. Just like the definition of success, the best piece of life advice means something different for everyone, and it can surely change through time. But as for my biggest piece of life advice for anyone reading this– never stop believing in possibilities, and to live in the moment because everything else is uncertain.

“Do not stress over things you cannot control.”

“You’re meant to learn from whatever you’re going through right now.”

“Respect!” - 48 years old

“You may not be where you want to be at the moment but you’re where you need to be at this moment.”

"Take it one day at a time."

“If you have enough time and energy to complain about something, then you have enough time to do something about it.”

“There is nothing worse in life than a wasted talent, as little or as big as that talent may be.”

"Life does not exist between 90 and 100."

"Everything happens for a reason. :)"

“Don’t worry about what others are saying, focus on you and those that matter to you. My grandma tells me to not care what others are saying because they’re not talking to your face for a reason.”

“My stepdad always said, ‘It’s only money, I can always make more.’ He never had much, so he would literally have to work and work to make more to cover normal expenses... but it was the lesson in generosity and selflessness that I always think about because he would give you the shirt off of his back if you needed it. Spend the money, get the thing, go on the vacation, buy the something for someone... live in the moment and be happy with what and who you have. In a nutshell, that’s what I get out of those words.” - 37 years old

“You can have love without peace, but when you have peace and love, it’s happiness.”

“The best advice I received and will give to people is: if you are the smartest in the room, you are in the wrong room.”

“It’s your life. You have only one chance to live it as you wish and to be who you are. Do not live it to anyone else’s satisfaction.”

“During my last year of high school, one of the counselors told me ‘focus on where your feet are.’ I think it can mean a lot of things. I use it when I get overwhelmed as a grounding technique (which I learned more about in grad school). Grounding techniques use your five senses or tangible objects — things you can touch — to help you move through distress. It can also mean live in the moment and be present where you are. I’ve even used it with some of my own clients in the past.” -23 years old

“Don’t be afraid to travel and experience new things, those events can change your views of life and meaning.”

"We make plans and God laughs at us."

"Don't live your life for anyone other than yourself."

“I had a professor a few months ago before I graduated tell me to think of everything that happens as a step on the journey to where I want to be. It’s been one of the most helpful things I’ve been told recently and I try to remind myself of it a lot.” - 22 years old

“Do the things you love without shame, if they make you happy then why is it up to everyone else to decide what makes you happy?” - 15 years old