A Letter To Stressed-Out College Students

1711

If you're a college student and you haven't felt like pulling your hair out from stress, well, then you aren't a true college student. I'm going to start off by saying the most over-used statement ever: “We've all been there.”

College is, arguably, the best time in someone’s life. However, it can also be the worst time of someone’s life. Whether it be the transition from an ignorant high school student to an independent college student, or the heavy (and unnecessary) schoolwork, going to college is no walk in the park. Yes, college can be an amazing ride with new friends, parties, job opportunities, and living on your own, but it's also a major life shock. You are on your own, in your final years of school…talk about a mid-midlife crisis.

So, how do college students handle themselves when they're overcome with stress? There are various ways college students deal with their stressful workloads.

• Stress-eating (that’s how the “freshman fifteen” actually happens)
  • Not eating (never a good idea)
  • Not sleeping (late nights at the library)
  • Having mental breakdowns every two seconds (been there)

Those are some of the more common approaches to handling stress, none of which are really effective or good for your health. No one really has the solution on how to not get stressed out. Unfortunately, it's inevitable to become stressed over SOMETHING, especially in college. So that’s where this article comes in handy. Here are some approaches you can take to manage and reduce your stress.

First, relax and breathe. Accept that you're stressed, and try to calm yourself down. This moment in time you are stressed, but you won’t feel this way forever.

Try to understand why you're stressed, and come up with a plan to fix it. For example, if you have a lot of homework to do and studying on your plate, make a schedule or checklist for yourself so you can manage your time, but more importantly, get everything done in an organized fashion. I know that can be difficult, but it’s worth a shot!

Meditation and/or yoga probably sounds silly, but they're especially helpful when dealing with stress and anxiety in life. Maybe sit in your room, listen to music, and try to zone out for a few minutes. Enable yourself to relax every day. It's important to give yourself a break. You're human, and you can only handle so much work at once, so if it starts to pile up, take your time with it and make sure to reward yourself.

Everyone has different habits and preferences, so the best thing I can say to you (again) is that overused saying, “We've all been there.” It’s okay to get stressed and be overwhelmed. It's a part of life, so stay positive and embrace the stress, because it will only help you for the future.

From Your Site Articles