A Letter To My Not So Sister, Sister

A Letter To My Not So Sister, Sister

You're the sister I never had but always wanted.

29
A Letter To My Not So Sister, Sister
Jill Schaal

“There is no better friend than a sister. And there is no better sister than you.”

~ Anonymous

Growing up with only a brother makes me wonder what it’s like to have a sister, someone who you can share clothes with, gossip about boys, and do each other’s hair and makeup. But I don’t have to wonder what that would be like because I do have a sister; we may not be biologically related, but you’re the best sister a girl could ask for and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

To my not so sister sister,

Ever since I was little I knew that we should have been related; we are practically the same person inside and out. We act the same way, especially when it comes to making fun of our parents or brothers. You always joke around with your mom telling her that her “poof” is looking a little flat today, or I’ll tell mine that I’m starting to see gray hairs. Or we’ll joke around with our brothers and call them Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber; we fight with them exactly the same, yelling at them to stop when they are being annoying, slap them on the arm, or yell “MOOOOOOM.” I don’t just think that you and I are alike, but every single member of our families are, from parents to siblings.

You have always been there for me, even when I didn’t need it. You always tell me that if I need to talk to someone you’re always there, whether it’s a phone call or a text. You always know what to say in any situation, especially when it comes to boys. You’ve been through all of the pain and worry that I have, so you know exactly what to say. You tell me that the boy I’m worrying and crying over isn’t worth it, that I’ll find my prince charming along the way and that I deserve someone who treats me and loves me the way you do. However, the moment I talk to a boy you need to know all of the details and make sure that he meets your approval. But I know that you just want the best for me.

I may not tell you this often, but I look up to you in so many ways; I think of you as my role model. You’re such an amazing person and I’m so proud and honored to be a part of your life. You have grown into a strong, beautiful, smart woman that I hope to be one day. You always have a smile on your face and you know how to make me laugh. When things get tough you tell me that everything will be okay, maybe not today or tomorrow, but with time. You constantly remind me to not overthink any situation no matter how hard I try because it’s not worth it. Life is like a rollercoaster; it has its ups and downs, but it’s all a part of the ride.

Thank you for being you because that’s the person I’ve known to grow and love. Another reason you are I are alike, we put our friends and family before ourselves. You have so much love in your heart that you want those around you to share that love. If someone around you isn’t okay, you make sure you do whatever it takes to make that person happy again. You can always tell when I’m not myself by simply looking at me. You’ll give me advice, make me laugh, or say that we need to go shopping because that is the cure for everything.

I love you more than words can describe. Know that I am always there for you and won’t ever leave you. Know that you can come to me for anything, good or bad; I’m only a phone call or text away. You’re beautiful, talented, smart, funny, creative, loving, caring, and so much more. Like me, don’t ever think that there isn’t someone out there who isn't good enough for you; you’re not good enough for them. You’ll find your prince charming some day when the time is right. They will treat you like the princess, or should I say mermaid, you deserve. But they’ll have to go through me first and get my approval. You're the sister I never had but always wanted; I hope that you think of me as the sister you never had because the one I never had is pretty great and the world deserves to know her.