A Letter to High School Seniors

A Letter to High School Seniors

As you near the beginning of your last semester of high school, appreciate the time you have left.

554
A Letter to High School Seniors

Dear (Almost) Second Semester Seniors,

As you near the beginning of your second semester of senior year, take time to really read this and overall appreciate the time you have left in both high school and your hometown in general. The hardest part of senior year (for the most part) is almost over as you near winter break and you have finished applying to most colleges and are waiting to hear back from them.

Yes, this can be stressful especially when all early decision/action decisions come out really close to the holidays. But trust me, if it’s meant to happen it will. If you don’t get into your number one school, don’t let it ruin your life.

You will eventually realize that it wasn’t meant to be and when you look back next year, you won’t regret a single thing and you will end up the happy wherever you are. At first it can come as a shock because it is really the first form of actual rejection in your life and it is totally okay to be upset but don’t let it get the best of you. Because once again, it will be okay.

In terms of classes, the “senior slump” is so real and it is true that colleges ask for your mid-year grades and obviously see your final transcript, so to be honest you really don’t want to slack off.

After applying to all your colleges there are going to be times where you’ll not know what the point of trying anymore is but you still have to do well on your finals which are most likely AP or IB tests, which matter considering you can get college credit for them. So try to actually still show up to class, stay focused and do your work and it shouldn’t be that stressful.

Appreciate the time you have left with your friends, because soon you won’t be with these people anymore and you will regret not spending enough time with them. These are the people you have grown up with your whole life and going to college doesn’t mean you will forget them but always remember where you came from. Take time to hang out with those friends that were there for you from the beginning.

The people you don’t make enough of an effort to hang out with anymore, now’s your chance before you regret not doing it. Go out and hang out with your friends whenever you have the chance; even though that night in watching Netflix seems so appealing, you’ll have plenty of time to do that another time but you should hang out with your friends as much as possible because sooner or later you will be leaving for college and saying goodbye.

And spend time with your family because at college yes you’ll have new friends but no you won’t have your family there. When you’re used to relying on your parents for just about anything it can be a struggle at first, you know being “self-sufficient” and all.

And trust me, the freedom of college is so nice but don’t forget you do have a life back at home too and you do need to stay in touch with your family. When mom or dad calls you a bunch of times, answer. They miss you and just want to hear from you. But as of right now, appreciate them and try dedicating time to them before you leave.

Switching topics a lot but prom...prom season will be here before you know it and it is the best and most stressful time of year. You will be so anxious about who is going to ask you or who you will ask, that you won’t be able to focus on anything. You want one of those cute "promposals" but you highly doubt it will happen, but you know anythings possible.

Really enjoy every moment of prom because although the actual dance may not be the most entertaining, after prom and after after prom will be the best time of your life. This is really the last time you will be with you grade as a whole and even though there are people you don’t like, you grew up with these kids, and have been together for at least 4 years. So have fun, take lots of pictures so you can remember forever, and be safe of course!

Overall, for most high school wasn’t the experience they had hoped for (based on the false reality of High School Musical) but don’t rush to leave. Stop saying you can’t wait to leave because it will come sooner than you know and you won’t want to leave anymore.

Your friends, your family, the whole familiarity aspect lies in your hometown and when you go to college, yes you’re starting another life and the best 4 years of your life, but you lose that aspect, so… take advantage of it while you can.

Sincerely,

An (Almost) Second Semester College Freshmen

P.S. As my friends and I would say it, "High School Forever."