A Letter To High School Sports

A Letter To High School Sports

Thanks for everything.

7
A Letter To High School Sports
Original Image

Dear High School Sports,

It’s been almost a year since I played my last game, and wow, I miss playing. I miss the feeling I used to wake up with on game day, the nerves that ran through my body before the game would start, and the heat of the adrenaline that would make its way through my veins during the game. I spent so much of my life dedicated to sports. All the long practices, the extra time spent working on a specific skill, the long bus rides to away games, all that time was spent because of sports.

I miss the pure happiness after winning a close game, making an awesome play, or beating a rival. Tears of joy were never as real as they were during those moments.

I even miss practice- something I never thought I would hear myself say. I miss having that routine every day where I would be pushed to my max, playing the sport I love and spend time with people who loved the game as much as I do. I miss my teammates, my life long friends, people I wouldn’t have ever met if it weren’t for sports. I miss hanging out with them, going through season after season together. I miss the bus rides; learning more about people than I ever had, laughing more than I ever thought I could, and singing my heart out with people who were as happy as I was about the game we just won. I miss being a part of a team, having that constant support system, being there for you during your absolute worst days and cheering you on during your best. A group of people I could call family, and call their family, family, as well. Wow, do I miss you, high school sports.

But most of all, thank you.

Thank you to every coach that ever coached me- teaching me some new aspect of the game. I’m so thankful for the life lessons I learned. Thank you for pushing me to new limits and sharing the love of the game with me. Thank you, coaches, for teaching me about myself, and who I am.

Thank you to my parents for being there for me. Thank you for watching me fail, and helping me to always get back up. Thank you for the countless rides you provided to me to practice and games and tournaments. Thank you for coming to my games to cheer me on, and being my biggest cheerleader and supporter. Thank you Mom and Dad, for most importantly, always believing in me.

Thank you to my teammates. Thanks for being the best group of people I could ask to share some of my best memories with. Thank you for making me a better player. Thank you for all the bus rides, the practices, and the games where we helped each other be the best that we could be. Thank you for being more than just teammates, but lifelong friends.

Thank you, sports, for giving me the best years of my life so far, and more memories than I could ever count. Thank you for teaching me so much about not only the game, but life itself.

I wish I could step on the court and the field for one more game.