A Letter to My High School English Teacher

A teacher worthy of teacher's appreciation day

2266
pixabay

Words cannot begin to describe how thankful I am to have had the amazing teachers and educators while in high school, but one particular teacher stood out from all the others. When I was in high school, English was by far my favorite class and the most important to me because English was my future and writing was my passion. Come my sophomore year, I was upset to hear that two weeks into the school year, my English teacher had to decided leave and my class would be meeting our new teacher the next week. I will admit that this was unexpected and somewhat frustrating because I had thought that this particular teacher knew what she was doing and now, she is leaving. I was worried that her replacement may not have the same passion or energy she had for English and literature, but I was pleasantly surprised the next week I came into school.

I got off the bus that Monday morning hoping and praying that I could find a way to admire this new educator and find a way to make the most of this class. When I walked into the room, I took my assigned seat and was met with my Honors II English teacher, Mrs. Roach. She started by introducing herself and telling the class a little about herself, as any new teacher does, but there was something about her that I liked. Mrs. Roach was different than my previous English teachers, and previous teachers in general. She had a very warm and welcoming outlying figure that had served as an canvas for her wise and witty intellect. From day one, Mrs. Roach has exhibited how her passion for English and Literature was the basis of how she taught and how she intended for the class to perceive the course material.

Being a proper educator and lively person means a lot to some students, but to me that was just the beginning of what I would hope to find in an English teacher. In a matter of a few weeks, Mrs. Roach had proven to me that she wasn't like other teachers, she was different, she cared.

I knew at this point in my high school career that I wanted to pursue English and writing, and I knew Mrs. Roach was going to be there for my journey. I would say that sophomore year was a great year for me, I was no longer a freshman, but was preparing to be an upperclassmen and Mrs. Roach really did prepare me for that stage. She was a teacher that wanted to know what was going on in my other classes and wanted to see me do well. Even when she wasn't my English teacher, she was still my English teacher if you know what I mean. Mrs. Roach was there early enough in my journey to see me grow and assist me along the way.

I cannot begin to count the amount of times I have sat beside Mrs.Roach's desk and had her help me with a paper, writing assignment, essay, poem, or project. I'm happy I was that consist student that constantly asked her questions because now I know some much and more because of her. I was more than prepared for college and I was completely confident in my writing and knowledge of the subject entering Drew University because of her. And now, here I am at the end of my freshman year of college, having accomplished so much and grown not only as a student, but as a writer. I can proudly say that I have utilized everything Mrs. Roach has taught me and sometimes I could even hear her voice correcting me while writing some of my papers, but I don't mind at all, because I know I will always rmemeber the things she has taught me.

I want to thank Mrs. Roach for exceeding my expectations. You were more than a student could ever ask for in an educator. Not only did you provide me with the skills and tactics I needed to succeed in what I did, but you were a friend. Thank you for answering all of my questions and more, thank you for always making time to read my work and help me when I needed it, thank you for taking the time to be my English teacher even when I wasn't in you class, thank you for never giving up if things became difficult, thank you for always being persistent and never turning away, thank you for making me laugh, thank you for making your class the best part of my day, thank you for being the amazing teacher you are, thank you for being you.