Lets Make Childhoods Great Again

Lets Make Childhoods Great Again

Modern Culture: The Catalyst Leading to the Downfall of Childhoods

14
Lets Make Childhoods Great Again
twitter.com

Have you ever stopped for a moment and looked around at your surroundings? You might have noticed some trees, cars, buildings, or even some children on their electronic devices. Now take a minute to think back to your favorite childhood memory. Thinking back, one can vividly describe some of the most impactful events that have come to shape who we are today. Devastatingly, the younger generations will not be able to relate to their childhoods in such a powerful way that we are privileged with. In this day and age, modern culture has become the catalyst towards diminishing the childhood experience for younger generations through the overuse of technology, provocative music, and bizarre forms of media. All of these factors contribute to the rapidly vanishing childhoods of many children around the world.

Tech no, Heck no

Technology has always contributed to improving our daily lives. The misuse of technology makes it dangerous not only to one’s surroundings, but also one’s health. In modern culture, the use of electronic devices, such as cell phones, has revolutionized the way we approach life. This type of technology no longer just affects the adults in society, but also the younglings. In today’s society many children have access to various types of electronic devices, and through these devices they lose connection to the physical world. The younger generations have had their childhoods taken from them by an addictive source of media. The access to technology has created issues among younger generations that was not commonly heard of until now. Important issues to note are: cyberbullying, depression, and obesity, all of which can be found in the younger generations due to overexposure to technology at such a young age. To a certain extent, exposure to technology is healthy and beneficial, but too much of it can deprive a child of a true childhood experience.

Just Listen To That Beat

Another issue that can be found in modern culture is music. Music has existed for centuries and has been used in many ways. Music was created to be the universal language, and like the Uncle Ben from the Amazing Spider-man once preached, “With great power comes great responsibility.” Sadly, modern culture has twisted the meaning of music and turned it into a provocative machine that tears down children’s morals. Younger generations today have drifted from the old ways of doing things. Much of the rebellious, sexual, and threatening behaviors have been influenced by some form of music. The lives of artists and celebrities can influence how children want to live their lives.

What Are You Watching?

The last, but not least issue, are the bizarre forms of media. One can refer to one of the first types of technological exposure a child encounters: Television. As the years have passed, the quality of kid cartoons has gone down the drain. Shows, such as Breadwinners, are providing children with senseless entertainment that has not a single ounce of educational or moral value. Most cartoons in modern culture involve stupid actions that promote destruction, rebellion, and misbehavior in general. Television has evolved into things like Youtube, Vine, or Snapchat, all of which are great for connecting, but still can provide educational entertainment. Young developing minds need something to stimulate their brains in a positive way, and most of the bizarre content found in media is very negative. At such a young age, children are already being taught the ways of modern culture.

Lets Make Childhoods Great Again

The inspirational Kailash Satyarthi once proclaimed, “Childhood means simplicity. Look at the world with the child's eye - it is very beautiful.” Through these positive words, one can imagine what childhoods were meant to be like. Those beautiful moments in life should not be interrupted by modern culture’s mistreatment of technology, music, and media. One stays a child only for so long, and we tend to yearn for those experiences as we grow older. It is important to safeguard the childhoods of future generations by continuously being involved in what kind of material they are exposed to at the earlier years in their lives. By doing so we will not only protect generations, but also better society by creating better young men and women that will continue to pass on what they have learned.