Let's Build A Wall Around Rapists

Let's Build A Wall Around Rapists

A letter on Consent, Campaigns and the true Capability of America

18
Let's Build A Wall Around Rapists
reddit

Dear Donald Trump,

My rapist wasn’t an illegal immigrant, or a “dirty” Mexican, or a transgender person in the “wrong” bathroom. He was my former best friend’s father, a well respected member of society with a stable job and a man with a surplus of money. I want you to know that he only spent a few hours in a jail cell, while I spent years in hospitals and treatment centers trying to overcome the pain he caused me when I was a young child. As I listen to you and your opponent take the stage and argue about who has the worst hair or who wears the most expensive outfits, I want to scream. Yesterday, I made the final decision to drop the criminal case against my abuser.

I did not do this because he didn’t do anything wrong, but because I was told that I would have to relive what happened on the stand in front of him and because I was told that there was little to no chance I would receive any justice at all.

Yesterday, I heard of Brock Turner’s release from prison after a mere three months of his pathetic six month sentence because He raped an unconscious woman and California law states if a victim can’t defend themselves then jail time is not required. So as you are sitting here talking about your stupid wall, I want you to know that someone needs to focus on helping the people inside of our country who have been hurt.

Being the president of the United States is an incredible honor and opens an array of opportunity for change in the world, so let’s make it a meaningful change. Work to protect the children like me who’s childhood was ripped from their hands and the abuser still lives in a family neighborhood. Or the women who go out for a night of fun and drinks in a “sexy” dress who are brutally raped and then told “they were asking for it.”

I must say as I sit here listening to you talk down to the people who you are trying to one day lead, it hurts me. I understand, everyone has to deal with stereotypes throughout their lifetime, but you are backing them up with your hateful and judgmental words. So next time you are up on a stage talking down your opponent, instead of turning towards her faults, focus on the laws that you can improve, the justice you can work to provide and the lives you have the opportunity to change. I want more than anything to “Make America Great Again” but in order to do that you must first “Make America Safe Again.”

Sincerely,

A Hopeful American