15 Ways To De-Stress Your Stressified Life

#5: Puppy love

5

Stress is the culprit behind some of our illnesses, many of our hesitations, and all of our fears. It is the reason we eat too much, break out too often, and yell too loud. Yet even though we know it's our greatest enemy, we don't do anything to try to prevent it. So, instead of focusing on the problems our stress brings to us, let's fight to relieve it before it consumes us.

1. Write It Out

Writing about who/what bothers us is the fastest way to get it off our minds. Rather than focusing all of your mental energy on what is stressing you out, write it down and be done with it.

2. Talk About It

Confiding in a friend is a way to share your stress with someone who truly wants to help you through it. Instead of bottling it up, allow someone to hold you accountable for letting it go.

3. Get Physical

Physical activity releases endorphins, helping us to feel happier faster. If you're stressing about something, go for a run, or a bike ride. Take a kickboxing class to let out your frustration, or do some yoga to calm your mind.

4. Get Crafty

Let your creativity out by expressing yourself on a canvas, or through coloring. Worried about something? Color in a botanical coloring book, or sketch something beautiful.

5. Puppy Love

Our furry friends are ready and willing to be our favorite form of stress relief. Hug a puppy's neck for five seconds, and all your stress will melt away.

7. Volunteer

Helping others is a dual benefit. It helps you feel better about yourself and your stresses, and helps someone who needs and deserves it.

8. Organize

Stressed about a deadline? Organize your closet by color, season, or any other way you like. Studies show that by putting our life in order (literally), our mental stresses will seem less catastrophic.

9. Clean

Mom had it right when she kept telling us to clean our rooms. Putting all your focus into cleaning something will help clear your mind of stress. And, it's been proven that we perform better in a clean environment.

10. Meditate

Don't knock it until you try it. Meditation may seem far out, but take a moment to focus on your breathing and the inner workings of your body. Let yourself relax.

11. Find the Music

Music is so important to us because there's a song for every emotion that we feel. Feeling the strain of stress? Put your records on and dance it out.

12. Eat Well

Eating well not only helps us to feel physically better about ourselves, but our minds function at a higher capacity when we are feeding it good things. Next time you're stressed, try eating some fruits and veggies instead of French fries and milkshakes.

13. A Cup of Tea

Herbal tea helps to calm anxiety. Stressed? Draw a bath, light a candle, and settle in with a hot cup of tea. You'll feel better instantly.

14. Laugh About It

Laughter relaxes your body, releases endorphins, and is good for your heart. When you're feeling tense, find some friends and laugh your worries away. It's seriously the best medicine.

15. Sleep It Off

When all else fails, take a nap. Stress only builds the more you think about it, so put your mind and body to rest and get some sleep. Everything gets better once you're well rested.