Labels: Leave Them On Your Groceries And Not On Your Friends

An open letter to society from a girl who is tired of being labeled.

9
Specialty Food Association

In recent years, I and many other conservative Christians have been given a lot of labels like racist, closed-minded, sexist and homophobic. I wish to address these labels and the impact they are having on our society.

First, I think we need to address the fact of why I have been given these labels. It is not because of anything I have every said or anything I have ever done towards those of a different race, creed or sex (I add that I am a woman). Because of the love of Christ that I try to let compel everything I say and do, I attempt to be kind and gracious to everyone I meet. I'm not perfect, but I am on a path toward sanctification that is powered by the Holy Spirit's efforts alone, and therefore I try to be as kind and gracious to my fellow humans as I possibly can be, no matter who they are or where they are from.

Why, then, is it appropriate to give me these labels? The main reason for the labels is because I did not vote for Hillary Clinton or buy into her twisted logic and inflammatory rhetoric (my political motivations are not what I wish to discuss at this moment, however).

You may think I am overreacting or being too sensitive about this. Since the election, it does seem like every millennial has some hurt political feelings they wish to express. I like to think my feelings go a little deeper though. Right after the election, the backlash of Trump’s victory on my college campus (which is more conservative than most) was a hotbed of anti-Republican sentiment. You didn’t hear us young conservatives complaining about that though. Nor did you hear us complaining about the fact that at least three out of my four teachers made either subtle or blatant verbal slams in class against those who voted Trump in. “Those racists and sexist! It just proves that our county is still stuck in the past,” some would say. Two of my professors stood on their soap boxes in class ranting at us for Trump being elected. I was honestly a little scared to tell people I voted for him, no matter how much I wished there had been another candidate.

I am not a racist. I have quite a few friends of different ethnicities, in fact. And no, the racism is not so “deep-rooted in my mind and society” that I just can’t see that I truly am racist. Like I said before, I try to love as Jesus did (though I won’t claim to be perfect).

I am not close-minded. I will allow you to call me “closed-minded” for one thing and one thing only: the blood of Jesus Christ. He said “I am the way, the Truth, and the Life; no man comes to the Father but through me.” -John 14:6. He is the answer to all of the plagues to our world: racism, fear, hunger, slavery… He is not just AN answer, but He is the ONLY answer. Maybe I am closed-minded for that, but it is only because I know that there is a loving God who wishes that none should perish but that all may come to an everlasting life (2 Peter 3:9).

I am not closed-minded because I picked one candidate over another.

I am not sexist. In fact, I would consider myself a feminist if the feminist movement today did not incorporate militant pro-choice beliefs on their followers. I believe in equal pay for equal work, and for women’s liberation in other parts of the world. So no, Ashley Judd, I am not a racist nor am I a Nazi, and I would appreciate it if people would be more careful to compare to Hitler only those who are truly monster and deserve to be compared to him.

Finally, I am not homophobic. Jesus is the ultimate judge, not me. I have my own sins to deal with. I will love you as I love my other friends, but don’t expect me to change my beliefs.

If we as a society can overcome this petty, childlike bought of name-calling and finger-pointing, we will be able to progress.

Thanks for reading!