All Of The Candidates Vying For The White House In 2020, So Far

Want to know who's running for president in 2020? Everyone says they don't have the time to research candidates, so I did it for you!

331

One of the main reasons people give for not voting is the lack of knowledge they have of candidates. Though there is still time for more candidates to announce their running, here are some details on everyone who has entered the race thus far.

Donald Trump, Republican, Age 73

Flickr

Donald Trump is running as the incumbent president, former businessman, real estate developer, and reality television personality. He considers his large tax cuts, undoing of the Affordable Care Act, and tightening of immigration to be his biggest accomplishment in the very active first half of his presidency. Though he faces several legal investigations, no evidence of collusion in regards to the Russian interference of the 2016 election has been found. He will be campaigning for reelection with an emphasis on continuing his immigration reform and his proposed healthcare plan. Though details are still very scarce, he says it will be the "on full display during the election."

William Weld, Republican, Age 72

Flickr

After working as an attorney, federal prosecutor, and Governor of Massachusetts, William Weld is now running for president in 2020. Weld ran for Vice President with Gary Johnson during the 2016 elections and was a well-known critic of Trump at the time. Weld has repeatedly stated that he is running to represent more moderate conservatives. The issues he is likely going to deal with during his campaign are his desire for increased fiscal restraint, a more moderate stance on immigration reform, and the steps which must be taken to legalize marijuana nationally.

Joe Biden, Democrat, Age 76

xensin / Flickr

Joe Biden is the former vice president under the Obama administration and former Delaware senator. This would be Biden's third run for the presidency; Biden ran in 2008 and 1988. Biden is one of the most well-known figures within the Democratic party and is focusing his campaign on building upon the Affordable Care Act, restoring America's global presence, and protecting low-income workers. Biden's announcement heavily referenced the need to stop a second term for President Trump.

Cory Booker, Democrat, Age 49

Booker has been New Jersey senator since 2013, is the first black senator from New Jersey, and former Mayor of Newark, New Jersey. Booker has one of the largest donor bases and is known for his eloquent speeches. He's led many Senate debates on reforming the criminal justice system and will be running his campaign on a platform of unifying Americans.

Pete Buttigieg, Democrat, Age 37

HBO / YouTube

Pete Buttigieg is a former Navy intelligence officer who served in Afghanistan and is the current mayor of South Bend, Indiana. He has been the incumbent mayor since 2012 and has very high approval ratings within South Bend. Buttigieg would be the first openly gay President and is a major supporter of gay rights and sexual equality. Buttigieg will be basing his campaign on his political work in favor of creating legislation for climate change and economic opportunity for the middle class.

Julian Castro, Democrat, Age 44

Flickr

Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, Castro was the youngest member of Obama's cabinet. Castro is the former mayor of San Antonio but has not done much political work during the Trump presidency. He has been traveling the country supporting Democratic leaders but remains vague in what this entailed. His platform is built around universal prekindergarten, Medicare for all, and the need for major immigration reform.

John Delaney, Democrat, Age 56

Flickr

Though he was one of the first Democrats to announce his campaign for president, Delaney still remains one of the least known candidates. Delaney is a businessman and former Maryland congressman. He is a strong proponent of universal healthcare and free college. But Delaney is more moderate than other Democratic candidates, with a mix of conservative and liberal stances. He has been using his mixed bag of positions as the basis for branding himself as the bipartisan candidate.

Tulsi Gabbard, Democrat, Age 38

National Guard Association General Conference 2016

Flickr

Gabbard is a National Guard veteran and the first Samoan American, as well as first Hindu member of Congress. The Hawaii native supported Bernie Sanders very vocally in the 2016 primaries but is more known for her history of anti-gay statements. She has since apologized for her statements and work with anti-gay lobbying groups. Gabbard's political career has been focused on reducing military intervention overseas.

Kirsten Gillibrand, Democrat, Age 52

Flickr

Former lawyer, Congresswoman, and current New York Senator, Gillibrand is one of the Senate's most vocal Democrats. Gillibrand's has led the fight against sexual violence within the military and sexual harassment. Her campaign seems as though it is going to be centered around women's equality and sexual violence in America.

Kamala Harris, Democrat, Age 54

Flickr

Harris is currently a California Senator, former Attorney General, and former District Attorney. Kamala Harris gained media attention after being one of the few Democratic Senators elected in 2016 and for her tough questioning of President Trump's political appointees. Her campaign will be rooted in her work for the middle class, with her middle-class tax cut legislation. Harris's campaign will likely be heavily reliant on her quest for equality within the U.S. and expansion of civil rights.

John Hickenloopper, Democrat, Age 67

Former Governor of Colorado and Congressman, Hickenlooper is also a former geologist who got rich off his brewery before making his way into politics. Hickenlooper is known for his work with both Republicans and Democrats, making him a strong candidate among moderates and independents. His campaign platform, though unclear yet will likely rely on uniting people towards progressive ideals.

Jay Inslee, Democrat, Age 68

The 18th Annual "Evening with the Stars of Energy Efficiency" Awards Dinner

Flickr

Jay Inslee is an author, lawyer, former Congressman, and current governor of Washington. He is known for his environmental policies and calls to action regarding climate change. Much like his campaign for governor, Inslee's presidential campaign is looking like it will be very heavily reliant on creating green-energy jobs and viable climate change solutions.

Amy Klobuchar, Democrat, Age 58

Flickr

The former lawyer and current Minnesota Senator, Amy Klobuchar, became well known on the political scene after her questioning of Brett M. Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings. Klobuchar has championed legislation to combat the opioid crisis and drug addiction issues in rural areas and also created legislation to address the cost of prescription drugs. These were apart of her very vocal effort to address the issues of the midwest and middle America.

Wayne Messam, Democrat, Age 44

YouTube

Messam is Mayor of Miramar, Florida as well as a businessman. Messam is a first-generation American born from two Jamaican parents and has very progressive views on immigration, gun control, health care, and environmental issues. Messam has proposed canceling the more than $1.5 trillion in student debt owed by 44 million Americans and is heavily building his platform on making college more affordable.

Seth Moulton, Democrat, Age 40

HASC Nuclear Deterrence Hearing

Flickr

Congressman from Massachusetts and former Marine Corps officer in the Iraq War, Seth Moulton has been in the House since 2014. Moulton, though a Democrat, is known for leading an effort in opposition of the re-election of Nancy Pelosi. Moulton has made his four tours in Iraq a key part of his platform, as he is calling for a new approach to foreign policy, national security, and defense. His call for improved national security relies on investing in technology and modern solutions as opposed to simply ramping up national security.

Beto O'Rourke, Democrat, 46

Beto O'Rourke is a businessman, former Texas Congressman to the 16th district, and runner up in the 2018 Texas Senate elections. He is known for his desire to create national unity, as well as work for immigration reform, marijuana legalization, and rural hospital access. Like Bernie Sanders, Beto O'Rourke is also very popular among young Democrats. Moreover, he is seen as a Democratic superstar, capable of raising large sums of money as seen in his Texas Senate campaign.

Tim Ryan, Democrat, Age 45

Tim Ryan is a Congressman from Ohio, former Congressional Staffer, and was runner up to Nancy Pelosi in 2016 for the House Minority Leader position. He has served as a Congressman since 2003 and considers himself a voice for blue-collar voters in the Midwest. Because of his strong connection to blue-collar workers, he is building his platform on renegotiating trade deals to favor the American working class, punishing Chinese currency manipulation, and enforcing unions’ rights and workforce development to build a stronger economy.

Bernie Sanders, Democrat, Age 77

Wikiimedia Commons

Sanders is a self-described democratic-socialist, current Senator from Vermont, previous Congressman, and runner up in the 2016 Democratic primary. He wants to provide Medicare for all when expanding social security, free college tuition for all students, and wants to lessen the influence of what he calls "the billionaires." Sanders is especially popular among 18 to 22-year-olds within the Democratic party and holds many rallies at colleges.

Eric Swalwell, Democrat, Age 38

California Congressman for the 15th district and member of the House Judiciary Committee and the Intelligence Committee, Eric Swalwell continuously stresses his experience as a prosecutor investigating the Trump administration and is very vocal within his positions. Seen discussing current issues as a guest on many cable news channels, Swalwell proposes funding for innovation in medical research and has pushed for a national ban on assault weapons.

Elizabeth Warren, Democrat, Age 69

Flickr

Elizabeth Warren is a former Harvard professor and is currently serving as the U.S. Senator from Massachusetts since 2013. She is also recognized as one of America's top experts on bankruptcy law and the financial pressures facing middle-class families. As her previous experiences suggest, Warren's platform focuses on income inequality within the U.S. and what she sees as a middle class under attack from big corporations and political corruption. Her campaign has been picking up a surprisingly large amount of traction early on because of her emphasis on these issues.

Marianne Williamson, Democrat, Age 66

Wikimediamedia Commons

Marianne Williamson is a self-help author, new age lecturer, and activist. Williamson has written 13 books, four of which have been number one New York Times Best Sellers. Some of her work includes the founding of Project Angel Food. Project Angel Food is a food delivery program, run by volunteers, which serves home-bound people with AIDS and other life-threatening illnesses. Marianne Williamson has proposed the government fund $100 billion in reparations for slavery and an expanded budget for economic and education projects.

Andrew Yang, Democrat, Age 44

Flickr

Yang is the founder and former executive of Venture for America, an economic development nonprofit. The Obama administration selected him as the 2012 "Champion of Change" for his philanthropy work and also selected him in 2015 to be the Presidential Ambassador for Global Entrepreneurship. His main platform is his desire to establish a basic universal income of $1,000 a month funded by the government. Though this is seeming to be his main campaign promise if elected, he is also known for his passion and vocalizing of issues dealing with technology and the future of artificial intelligence.