I Am Not Afraid Of Trump

I Am Not Afraid Of Trump

This election brings so much more than this man coming into power.

13
I Am Not Afraid Of Trump
Reader's Digest

This article is going to be very different, mainly because I don’t know how much organization it will have or what direction it will go, but I’m starting from the heart and moving from there.

I am not afraid of Donald Trump, just to get that out of the way. I am not fearful of him as an individual, and if I passed him on the sidewalk I would not run for cover or cross the street prematurely. I am not fearful of what he would do if we were to meet eye to eye because I know that when all is said and done and he is alone in a room with his thoughts, that he is still a human and no more powerful than you or me.

To give you more of a background of who I am and where I come from, I’ll start with a little autobiography. I’m 21 years old, have lived in Washington my entire life, and call Bellevue home where my mom, dad, two brothers, and cats welcome me. My parents also grew up in Washington, but not the same way I did. They worked hard from the time they were younger than I am now to make a living without a college education. I could never repay them or find the words worthy of my gratitude for the sacrifices they made for my entire family all through my life. I believe in a lot of things that they too believe in, but we do have our differences that I attribute to our generational disparity. To avoid beating around the bush I’m just going to come out and say that I was privileged growing up and if I needed money for something, I could get it from my parents. Money is a sensitive topic for a lot of people but it has proven to be a key factor in determining what people believe in, so I feel it necessary to bring into the conversation because I know that it is what made my childhood different from a lot of other people in this country.

Additionally, I grew up being taught to accept people for who they are and respect what they believe in, even if it was different from my point of view. This was difficult as you might imagine for a kid, but my parents were steadfast in teaching me that America truly is the land of the free and home of the brave and that the American dream would withstand the test of time. I worked hard for my grades in school, for the paychecks, I made at my first job and for any sport or extracurricular, I ever did. Lukewarm was simply not an option.

All that being said, by the time I was in high school I was very confident that I would be voting Republican in my first election. Based on my belief that essentially everyone should get what they work for, I started to recognize myself as more fiscally conservative, and I still hold true to that. But during this election cycle, something felt different. Of course, everyone will say that they did not favor either of the candidates, and some voted accordingly. I went a route I never thought I would take, and I’m sure you can figure out what that was by now.

Sitting in my sorority’s movie room on Tuesday night, the mood was somber. Most weren’t saying anything, and there were tears shed, whether they were for the individuals themselves or for any other marginalized group in this nation.

I cannot sit here and point fingers at Trump supporters and bad mouth his constituents because that would directly go against my values as a person. He is still a human being, although one who’s moral values I do not agree with. And like I said, I am not afraid of Trump. What I am afraid of is what his election means to this country’s history and what it tells people everywhere that were inspired by hate this election season. Forget about his economic policies, his master plan to repeal and replace Obamacare, and his proposed tax cuts. If you are someone that voted for him based off of those things, I am not calling you a bigot, or a sexist, or a racist, or a homophobe. I just sit here in utter disbelief that you voted for him not expecting the consequences many of his other followers would soon make a reality. This election was the time to think selflessly in this regard, and although I completely feel you on wanting to keep more of the money you make and not spend astronomic amounts of health care premiums, to not think about what this election means to people of a lesser socioeconomic class or of a marginalized community in this country means that you were not thinking big picture.

His election stood for more than what many Americans wanted money-wise or safety-wise; it validated those who are prejudiced and believe that those who are not just like them do not deserve the same civil liberties that they do. It validated everyone who has ever slung a racial slur out at passerby. It validated those who have ever put someone down for having a disability. It validated every guy that has ever whistled at me, grabbed my butt or my body without my permission, kissed me when I said no or called me a bitch to my face. With Trump as a safety net, those who think of themselves as entitled to those behaviors no longer have to practice it behind closed doors; it is now out in the open, and no one is holding back.

Even if you come at me and say that you are not prejudiced, you helped second hand to deliver a reality of accepted hate to those who are, and if you cannot see that, then I have no words.

I have read every post that I have come across my social media feeds the past few days, republican and democrat alike, in an attempt to fully understand where everyone is coming from. On both sides, there is so much tension, and that is something else I would like to address moving forward. It is understood now, Trump won, and there isn’t much that can be done about it. It is time to accept it and work toward fighting the good fight against those that think they are worth more than others. But no, it is not okay to be saying “not my president” because that is simply false. While in your hearts it does not seem fair and he does not represent what you believe is essential in a leader, he was still elected and the only way we get forward progress is to actually move forward. But yes, it is still okay to let people be sad, let people peacefully protest (though I know it all hasn’t been peaceful), and let people advocate for what they believe in. As soon as this election is treated as a contest is as soon as everyone loses. Do not point fingers and tell people to stop crying or to stop being “sore losers”, because in a country where the government is treated like a rivalry football game is a country not united. If you want people to stop “whining” or to pick themselves up again, do more to assure that we are still one nation united because all democrats are still citizens of the United States. We will all be working together to bring America to the prosperity it deserves whether some people like it or not, so stop treating it like a game and start putting your money where your mouth is if you truly believe in making America great again.

To conclude all of this, I want to reiterate that I am not afraid of Donald Trump. I will not denounce him or his family, I will not sling hatred towards those who voted for him, and I will not pretend that he is not my president. I know that this might seem like it’s easy for me to say because although I am a woman, I am white and have tangible privilege. But do know this; I will not be complacent. I feel pain in my heart for the people that I know will be affected by this Presidency, and I will always actively fight the good fight for you, using the privilege I was born into as a tool to help those that don’t always have a voice. And to my peers and family that do support Trump for his various economic attitudes, know this; I am not afraid of Trump, I am afraid of what the America he has inspired hatred within will do. If you truly are not a bigot, or a racist, or a sexist, or a homophobe, then you know that what you do as a supporter of his will speak volumes. Keep on fighting the good fight, and don’t let your fellow supporters that come from places of misogyny and hate be the voice of Trump supporters everywhere. Because now, this is everyone’s America, and if you believe in the power of love and prosperity for all, then you will join in whole-heartedly.