Keeping The Faith: POTUS Edition
Politics

Keeping The Faith: POTUS Edition

You are not defined by your President.

16
Keeping The Faith: POTUS Edition
Alexis Manwaring

With the inauguration over and done with, I think many of us have lost perspective while getting caught up in what the media is posting. We have to remember that life will go on, despite who the POTUS is. It would be ignorant of me to say there aren't serious problems arising within the country, but we have to try and keep a positive outlook. It can go a long way. With policies changing left and right, these are things we all can do, regardless of who is leading this country.

Treat those around you with kindness

Despite differing views, you can always treat those around you with kindness and compassion. You don't know what others are going through, so don't be quick to judge. I know we all have different opinions, and that's never going to change. But how you treat people during this time, especially minority groups, is solely your choice. No one, not even the President, can control how you treat others. Stand your ground, and don’t allow anyone to change your morals or core values.

Fight for what you believe in

In the Land of the Free, we have the power to state our opinions. Take advantage of the first amendment! If we don't fight for what we believe in, nothing will change. History has proven that change only happens when big groups of people are angry about the same issue. No one can take away our freedom of speech. So continue to use your voice, but do so in a positive way. Our country has enough negativity going around at the moment, there is no need to add to it when we can express ourselves in a positive way, while still getting our point across.

Stay positive and remember that...

I understand that many of us do not agree with our new President’s views, and that is half expected. Many people have seen this to be a major setback for the United States, and for many groups of people. But we have to keep a positive mindset and hope that he will realize what is best for our country. We can’t hope for his failure, just in spite of our differing views and morals. I will be the first one to admit, I do not believe he is a good person. But I am not going to sit here and say he isn't my President because I am an American, so therefore he is. That being said, I don't think people realize that you are not defined by your president. My values are the same values they have been all of my life, and he cannot change that.

All in all, we need to keep fighting for what we believe in, and we need to remember what is really important. We the people want what is best for America, which means we want what is best for all of the different ethnicities, genders, and religions that define our country. If the President can’t see that now, he will soon. So keep standing up for each other, keep treating each other with kindness, and keep rooting for America. Just remember, the people of America shape our country far more than one President can.