Keep Art and Music Programs In Schools!

Keep Art and Music Programs In Schools!

These programs make a positive impact in students live.

57
Keep Art and Music Programs In Schools!
Paltte Knife

For one of my online speech classes, I had to do a persuasive speech on something I am passionate about. I chose to talk about the importance of having music and art programs in schools. I am very passionate about this subject because I love music and I am very involved in band. Music and art programs create a place where students can express themselves.

These days, all people think about is being in sports, which isn't a bad thing. Schools around the country are getting rid of music and art programs. This IS a bad thing. One of the main reasons why this happens is because these programs don't bring in as much money as the district expects. Art exhibits for students usually occur once a school year, and there are only a few concerts for band and choir. As for sports teams, they play every week.

Sports teams can raise money by charging for admissions tickets, concession stands, and selling school merchandise at the games. Art and music programs usually charge just for admission fees, and some concerts are free at times. These programs have to do more to fundraise because they don't make much money to begin with.

These programs also face people not thinking they are important to their children. They think students should focus more on academics than extracurricular activities. Parents don't understand why every student passes these classes and it's not based on their abilities like math and science classes. These are the people who don't think music and art should be offered in schools.

Music helps use the entire brain when playing an instrument. Art helps children develop fine motor skills. People don't understand how these programs help students, and they choose to ignore them or they don't do any research. These programs play a big part in students lives. It gives them a place to express themselves, to learn teamwork, and to make friends who like the same things as they do.

Not every student is going to be involved in sports or even like sports. Sports isn't the only thing students can be apart of, music and art is as well. These programs also help with students who don't have the financial means to see a play or go to a musical. When schools have these programs, it helps children be able to participate in these activities free of charge. No child should have to worry about paying for something if it's their dream to do it.

I have participated in band since the sixth grade up to my college years. I've always been interested in playing saxophone and I had the opportunity to be in band because my school had a music program. It was also free of charge for the instruments. I wanted to be the best musician I could, but without these programs that wouldn't be possible.

We can't let art and music programs be cut from schools. These programs make a huge impact on children's lives and helps with their future plans also. It's not just an extracurricular activity, to many it's their passion and their life. I do support having music and art programs, and I hope you do, too.