Karl Anthony Towns: The NBA's Next Megastar

Towns is already taking the league by storm.

27
Youtube

Every so often there is a player that comes into the NBA that changes the game. These players were able to step in and not only make an immediate impact on the game, but a lasting impact as well. Whether it was Wilt or Kareem, Bird or Magic, Jordan or Kobe, or LeBron and Curry, these players have all changed how the game was played and dominated their era of basketball.

While Curry and the Warriors seem to be fighting with LeBron and the Cavs for the crown of champion now. There is another player in the western conference that is starting to put the league on notice. Standing over seven feet and weighing 244 pounds its 21 year old Karl Anthony Towns.

I’ve known about Towns since my senior year in high school in 2012. He was just freshman at St. Joe Metuchen high school and led the Falcons to a state sectional title and a semi-final appearance in the Tournament of Champions.

That summer he would go on to play for the Dominican National team coached by John Calipari. Soon after that he would announce his commitment to Kentucky and reclassify to the class of 2014.

He went from being the nation’s number one sophomore to the number 3 junior. He would go on to win his second straight state sectional final and lost in the Tournament of champions final that year.

His senior year of high school he won his third straight sectional title and was able to capture the TOC title. He was also named the Gatorade national player of the year.

He posted two quadruple doubles and averaged 21 points 13 rebounds and 6 blocks per game.

Despite all his success he managed to slide down to the number nine spot in the ESPN rankings.

Towns had a good freshman season at Kentucky averaging 10 points and seven rebounds. He was an SEC 1st team selection, SEC rookie of the year, and a second team All-American selection.

While Kentucky helped him with his low post game, a lot of the world was not able to see the true potential of Towns. If you have not seen his mixtape from his junior year of high school, go look at it. It is honestly one of the best one’s I have seen in my life.

Some felt that Jahlil Okafor should be taken over him with the first pick in last year’s NBA draft, but the Timberwolves took Towns with the 1st pick and they were not sorry. He had one of the most impressive rookie seasons in NBA history averaging: 18 PPG while shooting 54 percent from the field, 34 percent from three, and 81 percent on his free throws. He also averaged 10.5 RPG, 2 APG, and 1.7 BPG. This is up there with Kareem and Tim Duncan for one of the most impressive rookie season ever and Towns was much younger than both of them.

He went on to win rookie of the year along with being named to the all-rookie team. He also went on to defeat Isaiah Thomas in the skills competition final during All-Star Weekend.

Despite all of the accomplishments, it does matter to what the player can do on the floor. His first-year stats show some of what he can do, but you have to watch him to see what he is truly capable of. Watch him against Joel Embiid from their game in or his move against Al Horford to open up the game against Boston back in December.

Or watch him dominate the Knicks with 47 points and 18 rebounds; this kid is the complete package. He has great low post games, his footwork is incredible, he can catch and shoot from the mid-range and the three point line, and put the ball on the floor and hit you with a step back jumper.

His game against the Clippers on Thursday night really showcased how great he is capable of being. He posted 37 points on 17/24 shooting, along with 12 rebounds and five assists. He dominated the game in crunch time outscoring the Clippers 15-12 by himself the final 6:39 of the game.

In his second season in the league, he is averaging 22.3 points, 12 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.4 blocks.

Along with all of the intangibles, he plays with a great motor and aggression on the court. He is well spoken has a great IQ for a 21 year old, and is well respected in the locker room emerging as the leader for the young Timberwolves squad.

It is very rare that a player like Towns comes around. At such a young age he has already proved he can play in the big leagues and will do the right things. He is very mature for being such a young player in the league and handles himself very well.

He is already becoming a figure in the mainstream media as well appearing on both the Tonight Show and Jimmy Kimmel Live. It is not often that a young player like Towns has it figured it out on and off the court but when they do; it’s usually very special to watch.

Karl Anthony Towns has been successful at every level of basketball, and it looks as if we will be in the NBA as well. Get ready to watch the emergence of the NBA’s next mega star.