Kaepernick, Kneeling & Continuing The Discussion

People are finding it hard to explain how they feel about what's going on but it doesn't have to be.

6
Fox Sports

I'm not a fan of American football but I am a fan of social justice. That's the only reason I found out about the 49ers quarterback who is standing for injustice by not standing. He has simply refused to stand for the American national anthem because he cannot express pride in a country that oppresses people of color. His protest is quiet, peaceful, and remarkably powerful.

High school athletes around the country and players of other sports have been influenced by him and have started doing the same, whether alone or in their whole numbers. What I like about these protests, both at the national and local levels, is that the repercussions the protesters are receiving reveal the exact issue they are revolting against. This isn't about veterans or soldiers, as most people would have you believe, but about the fact people are firmly saying there is something wrong with America and it needs to be fixed. Some people just don't want to hear that. Some people don't want anything that distorts their very false belief in a perfect America where "all men are created equal". To them, protesters such as Colin Kaepernick and high school athletes are disrespectful and so, deserve to be shot. Doesn't sound like "liberty for all" to me.

I'm rooting for Kaepernick because he kneels despite his bi-racial identity and the fact that his adoptive parents are white. A lot of people don't know, or refuse to acknowledge this, but a person can protest, support, and stand for a cause even though they are not a part of that marginalized group. Ever heard of allyship? His efforts are well recognized by the people of color he stands with and that's all that matters.

I feel White America is highly exclusive; it only mourns for itself and for no one else. As long as White Americans are okay and well, the remaining Americans must be too. I see it as some sort of scale, however - the more comfortable and favorable situations are for white people, the more people of color have to suffer it. Until Americans with such advantages start to feel uncomfortable and uneasy at the genuine status of the nation, there will be no change.

Colin Kaepernick is continuing the conversation of social injustice in his own sphere of influence and we all need to do the same in ours.