Pyramid Schemes & 'We Have Decided To Pursue Other Applicants' Sums Up The Post-Grad Job Market Amidst COVID-19

The struggle to find a job is real, my friends.

161
Zoe James

Finding a job in your field after graduating from college is daunting for most grads... but finding a job in your field after graduating in the middle of an international pandemic is practically impossible.

I just graduated college as a double major, so technically I have two "fields" to pursue. I have worked 30 to 40 hours a week for the last two years of school. I worked with Odyssey for the majority of my college career.

I'm not overqualified, by any means, but I am qualified for an entry level job at a lot of places.

Or so I thought...

The past few weeks, I have been applying to as many jobs as I can, in different cities, different types of businesses from banks to marketing agencies to fabric companies and on more than one platform.

I've submitted close to 100 applications.

I'm not being incredibly picky—I want a job that pays more than the one I have right now that has to do with what I studied for four years. I want a job in a big city. Those are my criteria.

I do not expect to land my dream job immediately after graduating, and I don't think that anyone should expect that.

But, I also did not expect that I would submit so many applications only to get rejected or ghosted by most, or subjected to three interviews from companies with pyramid scheme hierarchies.

Right now, amidst the Coronavirus pandemic, many companies are laying people off or are on hiring freezes. This minimizes job opportunities and increases applicants for the minimal opportunities because people are being laid off, and hundreds of thousands of college graduates just entered the same job field.

Trying to find a job in the middle of quarantine and a pandemic is frustrating and exhausting. It is stressful and seemingly impossible to navigate.

While I might have the rest of my life to establish a career, I am ready to start one now. I want to start one now. I am putting in the effort to start one now.

COVID-19 has made the job field barren with opportunities and oversaturated with applicants, but that doesn't mean I am going to stop trying.

One of my applications will be "the one." One of these companies will be "the one." I will start my career soon. I am manifesting the entry level job that will pay the bills, and I know the universe will provide.