College Of Charleston Cancels Graduation As Coronavirus Spreads

To Every Disappointed Senior At College Of Charleston, Now Your Graduation's Been Canceled

Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted.

416

As we all know, College of Charleston President Andrew Hsu has announced that all classes will be online for the remainder of the semester and the graduation ceremony is currently canceled with no rescheduled date yet. Any graduation ceremony is a big deal but ours is a tradition known nationwide. It is not your average ceremony. From the beautiful white cocktail dresses to the absence of traditional robes to the beauty of the cistern. This is something all cougars look forward to from the moment we first walk through the gates at the College of Charleston. It is a rite of passage to finally walk across the cistern after avoiding it for four years.

As a sophomore, I'm disappointed that classes are remote for the rest of the semester and it will definitely take some getting used to for all of us. I can't imagine how the seniors are feeling right now, but I do know what I would like to say to all of my senior friends and fellow classmates.

First of all, be grateful that you are healthy because there are several around the world that cannot say the same. Safety is always the priority, especially in this confusing time that we are all trying to navigate.

Second, I understand that your time at The College got cut short and that must be frustrating, but in these tough times, remember that we are all in this together. Remember your cougar pride. Instead of feeling sad about lost time, think back to all the amazing memories you have made from your journey. You have grown so much in your four years, do not let these next couple of months stunt your growth.

Third, whether you have a job or internship lined up for after graduation or you are still shaping your plan, be proud of yourself! You made it! You have worked so hard to get to where you are now and your future is bright.

Fourth, do not feel anger towards the college's decisions. Many colleges nationwide are in the same boat. It is a frustrating situation for everyone but this only makes me respect President Hsu even more for prioritizing all of our safety. It's his first year as president and he is doing an amazing job.

Fifth, make the most of this situation. With a lot of our jobs shut down and classes being remote for the rest of the semester, we all have some extra time on our hands. Use this time to better get to know yourself, your friends, or your family. Make time for meditation, try an at home workout, start a garden. The possibilities are endless.

This all shows how unpredictable the real world is. As you all move into your careers in the upcoming months, I truly wish you all the best. Everything happens for a reason and you will all get to where you are meant to be.

Go out and make us proud. Go cougars!