It's On Us To Take A Stand Against Sexual Assault

I took the pledge, will you?

12
Sojourners

I understand this article might bring back memories for people that aren’t pleasant. It might even be uncomfortable for some. It might make you angry, or sad. It might motivate you. All of these are okay to feel. In this article, I’m going to talk about the horrid word we hear far too often “sexual assault”. This is not something I am doing to receive attention, and I know it is very personal but I feel it is important to share if I want to be a voice. When I was 4 years old, I was sexually assaulted. I will not go into details to spare you from the pain I felt. I will not go into details to spare you the constant battle I fight, even today. At 21, 17 years later and I’m still fighting. I feel that for my sake, I need to be a voice. I need to be a voice for my family and friends who experienced this. I need to be a voice for people I don’t even know. If I want to see the change, I need to be a voice.

Sexual assault is defined as; is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape. Sexual assault can be as complex as unwanted sex to just an uncomfortable sexual comment. If it’s unwanted it’s sexual assault. No if, ands, or buts about it. About 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men will be a victim of sexual assault in their lifetime. I think that it is important to have that picture in your mind, so you can see just how big of a problem sexual assault really is, because of thisI signed the “it’s on us” pledge. When you are pledging to “stop sexual assault you are also pledging I pledge to recognize that non-consensual sex is sexual assault. To identify situations in which sexual assault may occur. To intervene in situations where consent has not or cannot be given. To create an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported.” If you too would like to sign it, please visit itsonus.org and click “Take the pledge”.

With this being said, it’s on us. It’s on us to ensure that we will stand with and for sexual assault victims. It’s on us to be a voice to stop sexual assault. It’s on us to educate people on what sexual assault really is. It’s on us to make sure that people aren’t terrified to walk in the dark alone. It’s on us to stop people from jokingly say “well hope I don’t get raped on the way home” because this is NOT joke. Just the fact that someone needs to say that, makes it a problem. This is not just a problem, it’s a crisis. Yeah, only 1 out of 5 will get sexually assaulted, but that’s one person who doesn’t have to fear for his or her life. One person who shouldn’t be put in the situation to be scared forever. Plus, what about the people who haven’t told anyone? The ones who can’t sleep at night, let alone walk outside. It’s on us to make sure there is ALWAYS consent. It’s on us to make sure no matter what state we are in, we always feel safe. It’s on us to provide a support and a light for those who have been sexually assaulted. It’s on us to intervene. It’s on us to expect consent. It’s on us to respect consent. It’s on us to stop sexual assault. Not just because “It’s on us” told you to, or because you had to take that extremely time consuming class on it before school started but because it’s just plain wrong. It causes TRAUMA to people. It’s on us, to stand together to fight to stop sexual assault. I took the pledge, will you?