Isaiah Thomas, MVP?

Isaiah Thomas, MVP?

Why Isaiah Thomas Should Be In The MVP Conversation

19
Isaiah Thomas, MVP?
Keith Allison / Flickr

In the 2011 NBA Draft, 5-foot-9 guard Isaiah Thomas wasn’t expected to be much in the NBA because of his short height. He was taken as the last pick in the draft in 2011, but in 2017, Thomas has emerged as one of the great scorers in the league and has established himself as an MVP candidate this season.

This season, Thomas is averaging a career-high 29 points, which is second in the NBA, which for his height, the league hasn’t seen since Allen Iverson led the NBA in scoring at the height of 6-feet. Also, a good portion of points per game average comes when it matters most. According to Chris Forsberg of ESPN, in the fourth quarter, Thomas is averaging 10 points, which is the most in the league this season and the most in the past 20 years.

That’s not the only historic part of Thomas’ scoring this season, his consistency has also been historic. On Thursday, Thomas broke a franchise record held by Celtics’ legend and hall-of-famer John Havlicek for most consecutive 20-point games with 41. According to Basketball reference, in the 53 games Thomas has played in, he’s only scored less than 20 points once.

His scoring performances have helped to lead the Celtics to record of 37-20 at the all-star break. At this rate, the Celtics can possibly have their first 50-win season since the 2010-2011 season, when they had three future hall-of-famers in Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett.

He may not be physically gifted like LeBron James, he may not have the scoring ability like a Kevin Durant, or a James Harden, but he’s surprised the basketball world, from being the last pick in the 2011 draft to being the second leading scorer in the NBA.