The Importance of Health: Part 2

The Importance of Health: Part 2

The second half of the story of the time I had a cyst

49
The Importance of Health: Part 2
Huffpost

These past few weeks have been rough for me. First I was just getting over an awful cold that stuck with me for a few weeks. Then I developed a terrible pain that I thought was a bruised tailbone that turned out to be a severely infected cyst. Then I had to go home to go to the doctor and recover.

The last update I gave was that I was taking heavy duty antibiotics and hoping I could avoid having surgery.

I am very pleased to say that I went to my appointment last Monday and was told I was a lot better than four days previous. My infection had gone down, the antibiotics were working, I wouldn't need surgery, and I could go back to school. I still wasn't out of the woods. I was still in a bit of pain and knew I would need to be able to sit comfortably before going back to school.

So we decided to wait until Wednesday to go back so we could be sure I was better and able to move well enough to manage my crazy schedule. I kept up with my meds and was feeling leaps and bounds better than the week before.

I was ready to go back to school.

We packed all of my stuff back up and my mom drove me back to school. She helped me unpack and I was so excited to see everyone. I had missed everyone and everyone told me they felt the same way. I was glad to be back, finally on the mend to being healthy. Which was something I wasn't sure I'd ever be again, at the rate I was going.

I kept up at my meds and all my other routines, making sure I was on the mend. As the days went on, I was feeling better and better. I could finally stop taking my pain meds and I was close to be back to normal. I was still walking a bit slower than my normal pace and lifting things were a challenge, but I was managing.

Then Saturday morning I woke up and my body was itchy all over. I got up, went into the bathroom, and found that I had hives.

Which meant that I was having an allergic reaction to my antibiotics.

I texted my dad and told him what was happening, sending him a picture. He confirmed what I suspected and told me to not take my meds. So I didn't take my antibiotics and took some benadryl instead. I went to band and tried not to think about what was happening. When I got back, I called my parents, my grandma who used to be a nurse, the pharmacy, and then my doctor. They all told me the same thing, take benadryl and stop taking my meds.

My doctor reassured me that I had just over a week of solid meds and that I should be fine with stopping my meds (since that's something you definitely should not do). He told me I should stop and probably not take it ever again, since I was allergic.

The most frustrating part was something I touched on in my first part of this article. I'm allergic to a wide variety of medicine, this antibiotic was something I should have been able to take, but now here I was; having an allergic reaction.

So I'm slowly getting better.

I am no longer in pain and the cyst is slowly getting smaller. I am having an allergic reaction to my meds, so I've stopped taking them and am trying to get rid of my hives.

But I'm doing better.

I'm hoping that soon, I will finally be past this craziness with my health.

I want to thank everyone who checked up on me and sent prayers my way. It was a scary time and I wouldn't have been able to get through it without any of you. It means more to me than you know.

I will beat this and I will get better.

But until then, I will keep trying my hardest to get healthy; and also try my hardest not to itch, which is proving to be extremely difficult. But I've made it this far and I will not let this stop me.