I'm Stronger Because Of You

I'm Stronger Because Of You

Last week, was a hard week.

18
I'm Stronger Because Of You
Saskia Hennecke

After the outcome of this election, my world stopped. I have encountered hate on both sides. But there were people and feelings that made me push forward during the week:

Friends

While my some of my community hasn't been very welcoming, my friends have been the biggest support for me. The never ending love and support we have for each other has helped me step with the right foot forward.

Strangers

Through peaceful protests, even strangers at school have comforted me and hugged me. You can feel their sincerity and the same pain that is mutual. Knowing that you are not alone and you have people that stand with you, gave me strength to not break down.

Family

My mom and dad have been the biggest support, even if they don't agree with my "protesting". They listen to what I am feeling and give me advice.

My Boyfriend

Even though he doesn't understand my fear or why I feel the way I do, he comforted me, he listened, and he assured me everything would be okay.

My Bed

Yes, I'm thanking my bed. Because when I had no one to hug me, I wrapped myself in my blanket and comforted myself.

Sleep

Even if I only got two hours of sleep every night, sleeping helped me have a break from my reality.

Mrs. Newby

This woman whom I love so much, (which is a republican), has comforted me. From high school until now, she has always encouraged me. Her words of encouragement when I reached out to her were just what I needed.

Food

Yes, I eat my stress away. Especially after not eating for two days straight. Food became my best friend, and it showed me there were still good things in life.

Safe Space

My school offered a space to talk about feelings and confrontations that we had after the election. The silence on the campus needed to break, and seeing more than minorities there, brought some settlement into what was then my fear.

President Cervelli

After hearing nothing from the President, I feared we were alone. But, after I saw her come out to the peaceful protesting at her inauguration and let people know that she stood with minorities, I felt a little better. She even showed her pin to demonstrate she will help us and hear us.

Professors

Many of my professors have reached out to me and let me know that I have their support. To not let the hate blind me, that there is a community here that will listen and help.

The Hate

The hate I have seen from both Trump and non-Trump supporters. The hate I have seen on and off campus. The hate I have seen on the news and social media. They have all proved to me there is no room for fear. Fear is a weakness, and I am not weak.

The Racism

I have never endured racism until I came to Saint Mary's and until this election. There are times I know it is unintentional, and there are times it's targeted to hurt others. At one point I was scared because I was a woman and a Latina. I was almost ashamed of it and asked God, "Why us?" I considered transferring, but after seeing the support I have, and there are people who need me I have chosen not to leave. And that's why I would like to thank the racism I have seen.

I was once scared, but now I'm ready for my voice to be heard and to create change. I'm ready to stand up for the undocumented, African Americans, Latinos, refugees, Muslims, ANYONE WHO HAS UNDERGONE THE DAMAGE AND HATE. After being comforted I'm strong again. I'm going to prove that a label does not determine your ability. I'm going to break through the stereotypes. I'm going to be the bigger person. I will not tolerate hate from either side. I'm ready to educate others. I'm ready to work and stand with people to help build and strengthen a country, that all of us democrats, republicans, and independents share.