I'll Do It Myself

I'll Do It Myself

Forty years was long enough; Bumgarner bucks the trend.

9
I'll Do It Myself
The Rookie Report Blog

Love it or hate it, but the institution of the designated hitter in the American League has spelled pitchers the embarrassment of stepping up to the plate since 1973. However, tonight will mark the first time since the 1976 campaign that a pitcher will willingly opt to hit for himself when San Francisco Giants starting pitcher Madison Bumgarner digs into that batter's box tonight versus the Oakland Athletics.

The last pitcher to hit for himself, you ask? Ken Brett, the eldest brother of Kansas City Royal legend, George. The knack for hitting ran strong in that family. Ken boasted a career .262 batting average while primarily pitching both as a starter and reliever over his 14-year career, while brother George amassed the 3,000 hit plateau during his 21-year assault on American League pitching, winning a batting title in three different decades [1976, 1980, 1990].

There has to be a bode of confidence both in your own ability and from your manager who has to be equally as convinced that you'll be a viable option with a bat in your hand as well. Ken Brett popped 10 home runs and drove in 44 runs as a pitcher, making him a standout in an era where the rationale around the American League was to eradicate pitchers from hitting entirely.

Bumgarner, on the other hand, has spent his entire career in the National League. The only time the designated hitter interferes with his appearances is when an interleague series held in an American League ballpark comes into play, much like tonight. Only when the game is held in an American League ballpark do National League pitchers have to forfeit their spot in the lineup. Tonight in Oakland, that scenario will play out.

Bumgarner is an outspoken advocate of his talent at the plate. After all, this is the same man who a mere three weeks ago asked for a shot at competing at the Homerun Derby on July 11th. Over his eight-year career, while his presence on the mound looms large, both in stature and in ability, he's no cheap out at the dish. While his career average dwarfs that of Ken's at just .182, the power he possesses plays large even in the biggest of ballparks. Bumgarner already has smashed 13 career longballs to go along with his 45 career RBI, including a career-high 5 in 2015. He's even hit two dingers off the best pitcher in the game today, Clayton Kershaw. The swing is no joke. His manager, Bruce Bochy, is a witness to the prowess, as he's been at the helm of the Giants to see all Bumgarner can do when wielding a bat.

Bochy understandably shot down the idea of Bumgarner swinging for the fences at the Derby. While it would be fun, at some point a line has to be drawn. The last thing the Giants need is their ace of aces injuring himself at a friendly competition against the best everyday hitters this world has to offer. But for three at-bats tonight, for all intents and purposes, Boch is gonna give 'em the ole' "go get 'em' kid". Look for "MadBum" to speak softly but carry his big stick (like he always does) straight into O. Co Coliseum and leave with career home run number fourteen when all is said and done.