I Would Vote For Jed Bartlet
Politics

I Would Vote For Jed Bartlet

The President of the United States is a big office. And while yes he is fictional, Josiah Bartlet does an impeccable job at it.

78
I Would Vote For Jed Bartlet

I've been watching The West Wing consecutively through recently. I'm at the end of season four, however, I know roughly how the entire show goes because I've seen episodes here and there throughout. Just a disclaimer, there will be some spoilers involved. Nothing too important, but be aware some plot points will be revealed!

Jed Bartlet is the President of the United States in a show that focuses on his staff throughout his administration. Originally, he was only supposed to be in roughly four episodes. I'm really glad that Aaron Sorkin wrote him in more because he is BRILLIANT.

He's a Democrat who tries very hard to work with Republicans. He has MS and is trying to handle being the president while having a potentially devastating disease. His daughter goes through so much, and so does he, as a father.

He isn't perfect for sure. He signs a bill with marriage incentives attached because he "hasn't had a win in a while."

His vice president resigns. His chief of staff is an alcoholic and recovering drug addict. There is a shooting, targeting his personal aide, but hitting the President and his deputy chief of staff. His press secretary flubbs language, making it seem that he is relieved at people dying to be able to talk about something other than his MS.

But through all this, he persists and tries his best to serve the country. He's an economist from New Hampshire, who wasn't supposed to win anything.

I think that he's an "ideal" imperfect president. He strives to do his best for the country. He tries to be democratic while remaining moderate enough to work in a Republican congress (which reminds me of the problem Obama faced in his second term.)

I would vote for him. No, he isn't perfect. But he tries his best. He works with both sides. He's a good guy.