How Do You Use Your Words?

How Do You Use Your Words?

The power of words is undefinable.

139
How Do You Use Your Words?

Have you ever noticed that your words have an immeasurable amount of power? Your words can change someone's emotions, create relationships, break relationships, empower, encourage, and so much more! The great thing is that we can choose what comes out of our mouths. We can choose to make someone's day or empower another person. So, I want to challenge you to reflect on the ways you currently use your words and how you want to use your words. Here are some of the ways words can be used (but there are definitely more):

1. Shape your mentality.

When we speak positively about ourselves and others, we begin to live positively. On the other hand, when our words consist of more negativity, we may begin to struggle with a negative mindset that can be detrimental in relationships and self-esteem. This mentality shift won't happen over night by using positive words all day, but you will see a change the more you make a habit of using words that lift others up.

*I should also add that you won't prevent all negative thoughts if you only speak positively because that's impossible in the broken world we live in. BUT the way you choose to speak and think can definitely lead to a positive mentality that is full of more gratitude and joy.

2. Empower.

Once you have a positive mindset, it is a lot easier to encourage and empower other people. You can share your words and joy with others and lift them up. We are often too quick to judge people; sadly, this is usually most true for the people closest to us.

So, take a moment to think about a loved one or a friend. What are her strengths? Or what is something that you appreciate about him? ... Then, tell them what you appreciate about them. By telling someone more about themselves, you can empower them to continue building on that positive trait.

For example, my uncle once told me that I should write a book. I was caught off guard by his suggestion, but he elaborated saying that I had insights that others might benefit from. I had never really thought about that before. I have not started to write a book, but I am willing to write my thoughts and share with others like I'm doing here! Who knows... someday I might write a book!

3. Be bold.

Often times we don't say what we need to say because we're afraid of what others might think. That is not always a bad thing because we need to be aware of how the words we say will affect the people around us. For example, we shouldn't always vent when we are upset or angry (in that case, write it down until you can set your emotions aside and logically think it through).

However, we should also challenge ourselves to say the things that are difficult and need to be spoken. That is how we build relationships, break barriers, and communicate well.

Just remember to do this in a loving way. When people see that you are lovingly taking a step out of courage, they will most likely reciprocate by being honest and open with you. (Think about the bold questions Jesus asked and the bold conversations he had in crowds and at the well.) So, ask bold questions and say what might be difficult to say because questioning can be a form of hospitality, and communication is key in any relationship.

4. Change attitudes.

Words have the power to make someone happy, angry, and sad. They can make you feel loved, at peace, or stressed out. Be aware of the effects your words will have. Go make someone's day better! Make someone smile. Make someone laugh.

5. Share wisdom.

Words can be used to tell stories and experiences. Through the stories, you're able to share wisdom. Recently, I was able to tell someone stories about my experiences in order to bring hope and comfort in a time of darkness. Small pieces of your background could do the same.

So, you can choose what comes out of your mouth. You can choose to make someone's day or empower another person. Please, think about what you say and how it affects your life, and the people around you. I encourage you to talk positively, empower others, be bold, change attitudes for the better, and share your experiences. Your words have power.

"33 A good tree produces only good fruit, and a bad tree produces bad fruit. You can tell what a tree is like by the fruit it produces. 34 You are a bunch of evil snakes, so how can you say anything good? Your words show what is in your hearts. 35 Good people bring good things out of their hearts, but evil people bring evil things out of their hearts. 36 I promise you that on the day of judgment, everyone will have to account for every careless word they have spoken. 37 On that day they will be told that they are either innocent or guilty because of the things they have said." Matthew 12:33-37 CEV