Self Care for All

Self Care for All

How do you practice self-care?

58
Self Care for All

Self care is something that we all strive to do but struggle with. It is one of the most essential things that help us balance our well being with the different things going on in our lives. We often neglect self care as something that takes a lot of time and energy. But it is something that has to be done…

Fast forward to a few months ago when school first started after the pandemic, I found myself struggling. Not just mentally struggling, but physically and emotionally as well. Even though most of my classes were online, I still felt worn out and tired most of the time. Although being "tired" is a normal symptom of being a typical college student, there is a different level of tiredness that can be harmful.

Being tired and exhausted are some ways to describe entering a new semester right after a pandemic. We feel this way when we enter a new phase or transition in our lives that can be overwhelming and scary.

Even though our body is miraculous and does wonderful things for us, there are also some things that it can't do and that we have to do instead. Our body can perform functions, but it can't care for itself. That is something we have to step up and do.

If I can, I would want to wear "tiredness" on my sleeve. I think it shows how one can show others that they are feeling a certain way and want to do something about it. We don't have to hide the fact that we are feeling tired. It will only prevent us from seeing the problem!

Self care can range from doing something as simple as going for a walk to something more intricate and creative, like doing one's own nails or doing DIYs. We don't have to be extravagant to do self care. It really depends on how much "care" we are getting out of the things we are doing.

• Do crafts that help you feel good about yourself -Self care is already one thing, but being able to feel good about ourselves and maintaining a high level of self esteem is another. Be adventurous and seek what really makes you feel happy and inspired.
  • Don't think of self care as a homework assignment -Think of it instead as talking to your best friend after not having met in a while. You want to be as open in that kind of conversation, which is the same openness you should have with self care. Self care is meant to help you, not harm you.
  • Don't feel ashamed of the ways in which you practice self care -Even if it is rewatching the old Barney video from years ago or playing with dolls that you played with when you were three, they are still things that remind you of the good times when you were little, thus making you feel better after a long day
Think of self care as a superpower -Use self care like it's a weapon you are using to battle your worst fears and anxieties. Take advantage of what it can do for you and how it can help you.