How To Look Your Best (Without Having To Live At The Gym)

for people who hate working out

724

If you've been following me for any amount of time, you might know that I frequently post things about health and fitness.

However, if you don't know me personally, you might not know a little secret about me that I'm about to share...

The truth is? I hate working out. Sorry, not sorry.

I've tried for YEARS to find something that I truly love to do. I've tried running, I've tried pilates, I've tried weight-lifting, zumba, other dance-cardio style routines -- a lot.

Even if I get into it for a little while, I always end up getting really bored of whatever I'm doing and I start to loathe the routine. I used to get so frustrated: I hate what I'm doing, but I hate not doing anything. What am I supposed to do?

So here are a few of my secrets to having looking your absolute best without having to live at a gym...

1. Have an active lifestyle.

Okay, if you have a dog, you really should be walking them every day. If you don't have a dog or you don't walk them much, you should really be walking yourself every day.

I like to get up early, make coffee, put on a cozy sweatshirt, and go for a walk. This is especially awesome if you are new to an area -- you can take some time just to walk around and check out what surrounds you. You might be surprised at how much you'll grow to enjoy this alone time. *Bonus points for reading if you listen to an audiobook while walking.

I do yoga and cardio on occasion (when I feel a certain way) and I try to integrate squats but I try to walk at least 4.5mi every day. Walk as many places as you can, go hiking every weekend, find a hobby that gets you outside: an object in motion tends to stay in motion.

2. Stop drinking soda.

Look, soda just isn't good for you. Diet soda is just as bad as regular soda, if not worse. There are a TON of delicious alternatives to soda: iced tea, homemade lemonade, water, juice, coconut water, kombucha, infused water, etc.

It's fine to have one every so often -- sometimes I treat myself on a road trip, or I'll add a little to some of my Jack. Outside of that? Just cut it out of your diet completely.

3. Cut out processed junk.

Y'all know I'm vegan: a great way to live a healthier life is to go vegan. However, if that's more than you're willing to do for now, just start by trying to eat less junk.

The more whole (unprocessed) foods you eat, the better you will feel. Try to limit salt, fat, processed foods made with preservatives and chemicals, fried foods, things of that nature.

Now, does that mean you can't have fries sometimes? No. But maybe once every few months instead of once a week.

There's a difference between going on diets and living your life like you love yourself. When people tell me they're on diets, I always want to ask, "What's going to happen when you're done with the program?" or, "What's going to happen when you reach your 'goal'?"

The way you look is a direct representation of how you live. When the going gets tough, don't stop until you're proud of yourself.