How to Lead a Healthier Lifestyle

How to Lead a Healthier Lifestyle

Seven easy changes you can make to look and feel healthier!

8
How to Lead a Healthier Lifestyle
Kat Noviello

If you’re like me, you want to feel and look healthier. Throughout high school and college I’ve tried every diet thinkable: Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, Isagenix; you name it. My self-confidence varied from week to week and I struggled to find a lifestyle that made me feel good and provided long term results. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not striving to look like a stick figure. I really just wanted to feel and be healthier.

This summer I finally managed to find the perfect balance between healthy and practical. After a few months I noticed that I was buying smaller sizes at clothing stores and I was happy with my results. But most importantly, I was just plain happy. My new lifestyle gave me energy, made me more confident, and was actually something I could stick with.

Again, I want to say that my goal was never to lose a certain amount of weight. My objective was to feel stronger and to cut out unhealthy ingredients in my diet.

So, here are some tips on how to lead a healthier – but totally practical – lifestyle:

1. Cut out fast food!

Seriously! The majority of fast food is higher in calories and so overly-processed that it contains a long list of chemicals. Even the “healthier” options at fast food restaurants tend to be higher in fat and sodium. If they can make it and throw it into a bag in under two minutes, it’s not going to be fresh or fill you up. Fast food just leaves you hungry and bloated.

2. STOP eating out as much. Cook for yourself!

Cooking for yourself is so much better for you than eating out. I love cooking dinner every night and I tend to have leftovers, which gives me some super quick and easy meals for later in the week. I usually cook with chicken breast or lean turkey meat. Here’s the recipe for one of my favorite dishes:

Pan cooked chicken and veggies:

Slice chicken breasts into smaller pieces and place them into a pan containing a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil. After about 5-10 minutes of lightly stirring the chicken while it cooks, add in chopped zucchini, carrots, broccoli, and sweet peppers. Mix in extra virgin olive oil sparingly – you should really only use oil to keep ingredients from sticking to the pan; the less oil the better. For some extra flavor, sprinkle in ground garlic powder and even salt and pepper if you feel the dish needs it. You can easily sub in ground turkey meat to replace the chicken in this recipe as well!

This meal only takes about twenty minutes and if you use a whole package of chicken breasts you can throw your leftovers into some Tupperware and get two more meals out of it! You can also easily turn this meal into chicken fajitas by taking out the carrots, zucchini, and broccoli and adding thinly sliced onions and fajita spice mix. Keep in mind, along with the tortillas, this meal will be higher calories, but it’s a fun and yummy treat! Using lean meat and – if any – extra virgin olive oil is key!

No matter what I cook, I always try to make a vegetable to go with it. Some easy sides that you can prepare in a pot for any meal are corn, broccoli, and green peas!

3. Stop snacking after 9 p.m.!

This was honestly my biggest problem. During a night with friends or after a night out on the town I used to pretend that calories didn’t exist. Cutting out snacking in general – but especially late night snaking –made me feel so much better overall. I found that I woke up with more energy and felt less weighed down throughout the day.

It’s also helpful to only keep healthy snacks in your house (i.e. yogurt, bananas, and strawberries). If junk food isn’t there, you can’t be tempted by it.

4. Cut down on beer (hear me out y’all).

A few beers every now and then is fine, but I found that I looked and felt better after cutting beer out of my diet. Beer is high in carbs and calories, and I think we can all agree it makes you feel a little bloated. Cocktails containing tonic water or diet coke are lower in calories, but it's important to drink moderately in general. Remember, not only can beer and excess drinking cause you to gain weight, it can also can raise your blood pressure to really unhealthy levels.

5. Exercise at 3-4 times a week.

Three to four days per week is a practical goal to set for yourself; not too little, not too much.

As far as the gym goes, a good strategy is to wake up early and go before your daily schedule begins. Or, you could pick a specific time of the week to go. For example, I try to go to the gym after my noon class on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. It’s all about getting in to a routine. An hour out of your day can do wonders for your self-confidence and general well-being. And don’t overdo it! Never compare yourself to others at the gym but instead strive to reach personal goals.

It’s important to do different exercises that work out different parts of your body! Personally, for leg and thigh workouts, I run on the treadmill. If you don't enjoy running, a nice alternative to the treadmill is the stationary bike, which, if you push yourself, is a great workout.

For the core region I like to do good old fashion sit-ups. Planks are a great way to strengthen your core as well, and you don’t need to do either of these work-outs at the gym! Sets of 20 or 30 sit-ups are actually really easy to do on your bedroom floor and squeeze into your day.

The last workouts that I recommend are squats and the low-row machine. Squats will help to tone your butt, and the low-row is a great way to tone your arms without adding bulging muscle.

If you aren’t a fan of the gym, going on a walk, biking, or doing yoga are great alternatives! Not to mention they’re fun to do with a friend or exercise partner.

The most important thing is that you feel comfortable during and accomplished after a work-out.

6. Snack healthy!

One of my favorite snacks to make is light yogurt with granola and chopped up banana! I buy all the ingredients and sometimes even put them in to-go coffee cups and eat them on-the-go. I use a light calorie granola (usually Special K) and light, generic brand yogurt that you can buy cheaply in 32 oz. containers at Walmart. My other favorite snack is Clif Granola Crunch Bars. A package of two granola bars is only 190 calories, and it’s an easy snack that really fills you up.

7. Make small changes when you eat out.

For example, I always try to get egg whites instead of eggs. Another great modification you can make is to simply leave cheese out of a sandwich or wrap. I've found that I don’t taste a difference with either modification, and it’s healthier for you so, why not? Also, lettuce wraps are a great, healthy alternative to bread or wraps. Many restaurants have this as an option, including Jimmy Johns! It’s not for everyone, but I definitely suggest giving it a try before you write it off!

Lastly, when eating out, always go with grilled/broiled over fried. Not only is fried food terrible for you, many restaurants' greasers stay uncleaned for days. Grilled food will leave you feeling energized and light, while the grease from fried food will weigh you down all day. Fried food should be a treat not a habit!

Nobody's perfect. Everyone has cheat days, and I can honestly say that I don't follow these tips every day of the week. But having goals is important, and even adapting just a few of these tips into your routine can really improve your energy levels, self confidence, and maybe even help you lose a few pounds. So, what are you waiting for? Make some changes today towards being a healthier, stronger, and more confident person!