How To Handle The Trump Supporter In Your Life
Politics

How do you intelligently handle the conversations with people who seem to be auditioning to be the next anchor on Fox News without ripping your hair out? Well, I have advice for a variety of Trumpets (as I like to call them).

358
ALICE OLLSTEIN

If you’re like me, when someone in your life identifies as a Donald Trump supporter, the intensity of your reaction can be overwhelming. You feel like morphing into the High Sparrow, desperate to save them from their immorality. For my fellow "Game of Thrones" fans, we know Trump’s presidency would be comparable to the Seven Kingdoms being ruled by Ramsay Bolton. Speaking as the reasonable, liberal thinking individual that I am, I should note I hope to provide advice on the subject of dealing with uncomfortable political conversations as a whole, not just Trump supporters specifically.

Topics such as reproductive rights, LGBT rights and, especially, gun control, have been particularly volatile throughout the course of this election season. Conversations centered on the fabric of our moral being create palpable tensions in the workplace, between family and friends, and, most explosively, through social media. Reactionary comments are typical as passions pulse through our blood and pervade our social cloud, quickly creating a toxic environment. These debates can lead to arguments, feuds and the abandonment of relationships we once held dear.

So, how do you cope? How do you intelligently handle these conversations with people who seem to be auditioning to be the next anchor on Fox News without ripping your hair out? First off let us begin by categorizing some of these folks because I have advice for a variety of Trumpets (as I like to call them). For people you actually care about, focus on the person, not the issues. This could be your partner, closest friend, roommate, etc. The point to remember here is you actually care about this person and value their relationship in your life.

1. The “always need to be right” conversational dominator.

When you find yourself getting upset, remember the positive attributes of this person. Remember that their opinion on a particular issue is not the basis of your relationship. It might be worth it, depending how important they are in your life, to convey how their tendency to dominate the political conversation makes you feel. Remember that both of you feeling respected is more important than Trump’s feelings towards Mexicans.

2. The “opinions are facts” people.

These individuals are the most frustrating group in my opinion. When presented with the actual facts, they disbelieve them. They confuse their opinions with facts. These are the people who can stare at Obama’s birth certificate and still accuse him of being born in Africa. They’re pretty much a lost cause. Don’t exhaust yourself trying to change their beliefs because it will never happen. Sadly, in today’s society, major news outlets such as Fox News and MSNBC are falsely reporting to large audiences, exacerbating the problem and instigating fear mongering.

3. The friend of a friend that’s ruining the occasion.

Maybe you’re at a gathering, or a dinner party, and you meet someone who starts rambling about politics and your blood starts to boil. The important thing to remember here is that while you may not give a shit about this person, your friend does. While they may appear to be a horrible person you wish you hadn’t met, try to remember they must have good qualities that make them special to your friend. Respect their friendship and just politely agree to disagree. Try discussing something else and find neutral common ground. Sports, TV shows and pets are generally always a safe bet.

4. The social media argumentative.

This person adores discussing political rhetoric over the internet. The problem is that the internet has become this breeding ground where people publically display their knee-jerk reactions to hot-button issues that spiral out of control. Relationships can be damaged for the world to see. My suggestion here, if you value the friendship or relationship, is to hang out with that person face to face. Remember who they are away from the computer screen. Be reminded of why you care about this person and what made them special in your life in the first place. Connecting with them on a physical, emotional level will alleviate some of that electronic tension.

5. Those people who you’re forced to live with.

Now we don't always need to value a relationship in order to motivate us to get along with someone. We all have people in our lives we are forced to associate with: neighbors, classmates, coworkers, landlords, etc. Remember, you will never change their opinion. In order to prevent a regretful encounter, try to keep the waters calm. Since you have no choice but to interact with them, simply have the maturity to choose not to engage them in political conversation. Just ignore them.

6. Lastly, the xenophobic asshole.

There are, unfortunately, people in this world who cross the moral line. They regurgitate hate. You can’t ignore these people. What you should do is firmly state that you willnot tolerate their hateful remarks and walk away. Adults who have such an inadequate worldview are not people you will ever convince are wrong in their thinking. Reject their hate and then walk away. It does not bode well to engage with these individuals longer than the 10 seconds it takes to dismiss them. However, looking them in the eye and point-blank telling them you have zero tolerance for their behavior is necessary.

Politics is a messy business. In my opinion, there are always ways to have lively discussions and generally appreciate points from individuals whose beliefs you may find polarizing to your own. Intelligent conversation means being open-minded to the opinions of others. Actively listening to their arguments before passing judgment. Most importantly, it’s about being open to change.The last thing I’ll say in regards to politics is to be cognizant of where your news and information is coming from. It’s our future. We are all responsible.